Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a bred hereford prolasping. Our vet is unavailable. My husband cleaned it with antibacterial soap & warm water, and pushed it back in, twice already. Is there anything else we can do till we get ahold of the vet. She's due in April.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

About all you can do is keep replacing it and insuring that it's clean and stays moist. One problem can be that as it swells it can prevent urination. When you put it back, massage around and see if you can get her to urinate. Good luck, I've been down this road and it ain't fun. It also depends on how large the prolapse is.

dun

> I have a bred hereford prolasping.
> Our vet is unavailable. My husband
> cleaned it with antibacterial soap
> & warm water, and pushed it
> back in, twice already. Is there
> anything else we can do till we
> get ahold of the vet. She's due in
> April.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> I have a bred hereford prolasping.
> Our vet is unavailable. My husband
> cleaned it with antibacterial soap
> & warm water, and pushed it
> back in, twice already. Is there
> anything else we can do till we
> get ahold of the vet. She's due in
> April. put one or two stitches in her to help hold her in..if you use a large stitch you may need to cut it when she calves. then ship her it will happen again next year



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

without going into too much detail, could you please explain what prolapse is/means? I can tell what it sounds like from the responses, but I have never heard of it before, and since I am about to breed my cows, I might need to be aware and know how to treat it.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Prolapse is the partial expulsion of the rectum, vagina or uterus. Pre-calving is usually vaginal. Some lines of Herefords are more prone to prolapse then others. The reason I didn't recommend stitching is because few people have the required skill, equipment or drugs to do it correctly. Best left to a skilled vet. Prolapse isn't a common problem, but when it does happen you feel awfully helpless. Donventional wisdom says that if the prolapse ocurs post calving that it won't happen again, if it is pre calving it will. Not necesarrily so. We had a cow prolapse after calving, the next year she prolapsed 3 months before calving.

dun

> without going into too much
> detail, could you please explain
> what prolapse is/means? I can tell
> what it sounds like from the
> responses, but I have never heard
> of it before, and since I am about
> to breed my cows, I might need to
> be aware and know how to treat it.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Prolapse is the partial expulsion
> of the rectum, vagina or uterus.
> Pre-calving is usually vaginal.
> Some lines of Herefords are more
> prone to prolapse then others. The
> reason I didn't recommend
> stitching is because few people
> have the required skill, equipment
> or drugs to do it correctly. Best
> left to a skilled vet. Prolapse
> isn't a common problem, but when
> it does happen you feel awfully
> helpless. Donventional wisdom says
> that if the prolapse ocurs post
> calving that it won't happen
> again, if it is pre calving it
> will. Not necesarrily so. We had a
> cow prolapse after calving, the
> next year she prolapsed 3 months
> before calving.

> dun

About how long do we keep putting it back in till yah know it ain't going to work and know she'll definitely need stitches. We're small time, not equiped to do the stitch thing.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

My guess would be that you should get the Vet over and let him/her deal with it. If a cow prolapses it possibly means that she has a weak muscle structure and it will probably happen again. Let the cow grow wheels...not something you probably would want to keep in your herd. Life is too short to repeat problems with any animal, psychological or medical....

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I recommend to my clients that they pop it in as often as they see it--if it stays in, great. If they can't get it in or can't be bothered (heck, when it's 40 below, I wouldn't be...) I'll come out and do an epidural and stitch her. I try to do a bow with long ends so that they can undo her, let her calve and tie her back up. The bladder can be trapped in the prolapse, and if it is, you'll never get it back in. It should be the size of say a softball to easily replace. When it gets to football + in size, you need to call the vet. Good Luck V
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Putting it back in yourself was meant as a stopgap until the vet could come out and lace her up.

dun

> About how long do we keep putting
> it back in till yah know it ain't
> going to work and know she'll
> definitely need stitches. We're
> small time, not equiped to do the
> stitch thing.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> My guess would be that you should
> get the Vet over and let him/her
> deal with it. If a cow prolapses
> it possibly means that she has a
> weak muscle structure and it will
> probably happen again. Let the cow
> grow wheels...not something you
> probably would want to keep in
> your herd. Life is too short to
> repeat problems with any animal,
> psychological or medical....

Thanks all, for the input. Good News so far today, it's still inside. She is overweight which i'm sure is a lot of her problem. Thanks again!

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

What are the signs for something like this? Will the cow act differently from the others? I have a cow that we thought was bred along with the others, and the other 2 had their calf in November..she hasnt had hers yet...she was with the bull until the end of April, so we havent given up yet, but she has some swelling around the rectum, we werent sure if it was from being about to calve or what, but now I am kinda worried about the prolapse situation. She doesnt appear to be in any pain and acts just like the other cows and eats and defecates without any pain so is there anything we should be on the lookout for?
 
OP
A

Anonymous

It is perfectly normal for a pregnant cow to be puffy around the vulva and rectum.

A prolapse is when the internal tissue protrudes to the outside.

Ann B

> What are the signs for something
> like this? Will the cow act
> differently from the others? I
> have a cow that we thought was
> bred along with the others, and
> the other 2 had their calf in
> November..she hasnt had hers
> yet...she was with the bull until
> the end of April, so we havent
> given up yet, but she has some
> swelling around the rectum, we
> werent sure if it was from being
> about to calve or what, but now I
> am kinda worried about the
> prolapse situation. She doesnt
> appear to be in any pain and acts
> just like the other cows and eats
> and defecates without any pain so
> is there anything we should be on
> the lookout for?



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> What are the signs for something
> like this? Will the cow act
> differently from the others? I
> have a cow that we thought was
> bred along with the others, and
> the other 2 had their calf in
> November..she hasnt had hers
> yet...she was with the bull until
> the end of April, so we havent
> given up yet, but she has some
> swelling around the rectum, we
> werent sure if it was from being
> about to calve or what, but now I
> am kinda worried about the
> prolapse situation. She doesnt
> appear to be in any pain and acts
> just like the other cows and eats
> and defecates without any pain so
> is there anything we should be on
> the lookout for?

You'll totally know this isn't right, you can tell it belongs on the inside, pink & blood tinged, some mucous, kinda sections in the middle, for lack of a better statement.This one was Each side about the size of a grapefruit turned into your kidz oooze gel they play with ( if your kids play with that stuff)soft & mushy. There are different sizes of prolapse though, we had one four years ago about the size of a soccer ball. Thankfully the vet was around then. Definitely needed stitched. Ended up taking that calf by C-section. Oh well thats a chance yah sometimes take with these creatures. What yah don't learn farming!!!



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> If that's the case, I dont think that is what this is. I hope this is just normal swelling as it is no where near even plum size. It just seems a little swollen, nothing like you have described, but I will definately check her out this afternoon and keep an eye on her the next few days and see if it gets any larger! Thanks for the info!
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Charlotte, if you have a slaughterhouse close enough, you might consider selling her direct to them. They will take her prolapsed as long as she’s not running a fever. Bred cows are cheap to replace right now. You will save yourself a lot of trouble and eliminate considerable risk and potential expense or loss.

Craig-TX
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Charlotte, if you have a
> slaughterhouse close enough, you
> might consider selling her direct
> to them. They will take her
> prolapsed as long as she’s not
> running a fever. Bred cows are
> cheap to replace right now. You
> will save yourself a lot of
> trouble and eliminate considerable
> risk and potential expense or
> loss.

> Craig-TX

Her prolapse has stayed in for three days, I think I'll take the chance, and try for two, I think she'll be alright. She's one of my best cows.Makes a person sick, it does. If we can get to April, and then till weaning, then We'll talk T-Bone my freezer should be in need about then. Thanks for you input.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Okay, so now that I have a better understanding of what prolapsed is do you have to put the cow in a confined area so you can put the linings back in? I mean, wouldn't it be hard to do that if a cow won't let you touch her?
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
7
Location
MO Ozarks
You will need to restrain her. I suppose you can rope her and throw he out in a pasture but a chute is better.

dun
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Dun ,
Have you ever used a walking W to throw one ? Works real well if the cow is gentle enough to snub her to a tree. Chutes work much better.
 

Latest posts

Top