Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN":16wnlttd said:
Also I read about the sugar thing, the first vet said salt is best for someone to put on, until the vet arrives, I know some said this might hurt and burn the animal, but I wouldn't think it would, especially after just giving birth.

Know how salt would feel on an open wound?

Or ever eaten something salty when you have chapped lips?

Externally it wouldn't be a problem, but on a wound or internal reproductive tissue...I'll bet that would burn. Bet it would work, too, but if you have sugar on hand the animal would probably be a lot more cooperative with you.

Beefy, I did sew her myselt. I have a prolapse repair needle with the flat cord to sew with. I sew across the vulva, not on the edge but up close to the body. I go from side to side in two places to hold the womb in. This is how I was taught by my Grandfather who only used a pocket knife to make the incision and leather string to tie with. The prolapse repair needle is much easier to use than a knife.The vets use a different technique to sew them up but this method works good for me.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07ac6-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

My hubby has used the lidocaine, you know it's working when the tail gets limp like a rope. :shock:
Prolapse can be heritable, but a prolapse on a first calf heifer is potentially due to the hard calving.
If you decide the dystocia is the bulls fault, I would give her another chance. I had a first calf heifer do it years ago due to a large calf, stayed in our herd to a normal old age.

Latest posts