Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

TR":3ewlnd4c said:
Beefy":3ewlnd4c said:
so what if it sticks out barely when they are laying down but goes back in when they get up? that doesnt count?

There's a first calver out here that did that a couple of weeks before calving last year. Now, she's doing it when she's in heat and riding the others. Guess its a weak vaginal wall? One more (terminal) calf outta her, and she goes to McDonalds.....

Weak Vaginal Wall, thats what i think too. I've always culled against it too except for the black cow i was talking about. i had kept several of her daughters before and all of them are good cows so far. i probably wont cull them just b/c she got a little loose in her oldern days, but i'll keep a mental note in case they have any other strikes against them down the road. this cow did have problems with her first calf, but i havent noticed her vagina except for right before that 9th calf. shes already had number 10 with no problems.

A guy who raises dogs taught me a trick to help shrink a prolapsed uterus so that it is easier to get back in.
I mix 2 gallons of water with 5 lbs of sugar. I pour the mixture over the prolapse slowly while rubbing it in.
2 out of the 3 times that I have tried this it has shrank the uterus to about the size of a football.
1 out the 3 times it did nothing and the cow died within about 30 minutes of prolapsing after calving.
Has anyone else ever heard or tried this before.

gipper":24fhv0ln said:
I mix 2 gallons of water with 5 lbs of sugar. I pour the mixture over the prolapse slowly while rubbing it in.

I put it in a spray bottle.

Yes have heard of using sugar water to help shrink it, but have never seen it done. The one we have in the corrals now, wasn't bad enuff to require the sugar, but we had it onhand just in case.

Latest posts