Prolapse?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Checked the cows yesterday, and had one of my biggest cows with a prebirth prolapse. Eased to the catching pen, and started her down the chute, to the head catcher. Anyway long story short, she gets wedged in the chute. She's been down the chute many times,but raked the sides good. Good grass year, and she's bigger than I've ever seen her. I give this thing a shove, and it goes in. Start to try and stitch, and she backs out. Now she's got death and destruction on her mind. She's not going back in the chute. I give up, and turn her loose. It's still in this morning. Think it will stay?

Bigfoot":2egi658g said:
Checked the cows yesterday, and had one of my biggest cows with a prebirth prolapse. Eased to the catching pen, and started her down the chute, to the head catcher. Anyway long story short, she gets wedged in the chute. She's been down the chute many times,but raked the sides good. Good grass year, and she's bigger than I've ever seen her. I give this thing a shove, and it goes in. Start to try and stitch, and she backs out. Now she's got death and destruction on her mind. She's not going back in the chute. I give up, and turn her loose. It's still in this morning. Think it will stay?

How long till she calves? I messed with my last vaginal prolapse last year. From now on, if they are at least a couple months from calving, they are gone. Sew them up and on the kill truck. Write off the calf, I am not going through that again. It is starting to age me too much. And that is assuming she is a sweet friendly Hereford. Your girl could likely get the lead treatment here.

pdfangus":32jbxzol said:
the problem with sewing them up is you have to be there when she goes into labor...

Yup. I agree. If she's not close to calving she's gone. I had one I kept once and induced labor so I knew to take her stitch out. Not worth the headache. Whether or not it stays in is anyone's guess but I've never had one stay put once it decides to start coming out.

Still in at lunch time. I have her set down to calve between January 5th and 10th. That is if I dint miss her coming back in, and it's 21 days later.

Keep us updated. I'm interested because I have one due to calve end of Feb & I'll occasionally see a small vag prolapse but not every time she lays down. I'm concerned about stitching her up because she calved earlier than anticipated last year (it was a heifer calf) and even though I recorded the correct date of bull action, that's clearly no guarantee.

Sounds like your in for the short haul then. Keep a close eye on her, cut the stitches when she goes into labor and then stitch her back up after she cleans. Keep her away from a bull and send her to town in the fall.

Thumbed through my records today. I've kept 3 heifers out of this cow. She's an '07 model. Her calves have averaged well in excess of 700 pounds at weaning, and her daughters are doing the same. I hate to cull the whole line over this one incident. I had even kept a bull calf, but culled him because of disposition.

Bigfoot":r4cohhpu said:
Thumbed through my records today. I've kept 3 heifers out of this cow. She's an '07 model. Her calves have averaged well in excess of 700 pounds at weaning, and her daughters are doing the same. I hate to cull the whole line over this one incident. I had even kept a bull calf, but culled him because of disposition.

Been there. It sucks, but the alternative is even worse. Keep the daughters for now, but seriously consider cashing them in if the trait rears its head down the road.

She is this close to calving, hope it will stay in. If it isn't too big then don't sweat it. After she calves, she may never have another problem. Had one that did it every year, each year a little bigger, but pushed it in, it stayed, and then she would pop out a calf. She come up open and she went. Had 1 heifer calf that we kept til she was 14 or 15 and never did it.
Also, we can slide a board across the end of the chute so that they can't back out once they get it it. Helps when we get the big cows in there and they can't/won't go all the way to the head catch. Chute up to the head catch is about 30 ft or so, can put a board across in 3 places to "contain them". Learned the hard way when they managed to back out.

farmerjan":uoxrs3f4 said:
She is this close to calving, hope it will stay in. If it isn't too big then don't sweat it. After she calves, she may never have another problem. Had one that did it every year, each year a little bigger, but pushed it in, it stayed, and then she would pop out a calf. She come up open and she went. Had 1 heifer calf that we kept til she was 14 or 15 and never did it.
Also, we can slide a board across the end of the chute so that they can't back out once they get it it. Helps when we get the big cows in there and they can't/won't go all the way to the head catch. Chute up to the head catch is about 30 ft or so, can put a board across in 3 places to "contain them". Learned the hard way when they managed to back out.

She never made it far enough to scotch her.

Bigfoot":3ttmctjq said:
farmerjan":3ttmctjq said:

She never made it far enough to scotch her.
Oh sorry, I miss read, thought she had gone in a ways. You did good to get it pushed in then.

I have had DOZENS of cows with vaginal prolapse... I hate it, and it often does show up again and again in the family.. I'm hoping I got rid of my last of them this year.. A 13 year old cow, had it at breeding time, was out for most of the night and the next day at 95F.. it was an ugly mess, but I got it back in and it stayed.. she even bred!.. but onto the truck in the fall time. Her mother had it too, I have a couple daughters, one is going on 7 years old and no sign of it.. hope it stays that way, if it weren't for that problem they're a very nice line of cows that perform pretty well.

I think lack of exercise exacerbates the problem.. when they pig out and lay around all day.. I definitely have had positive results by feeding them 1/4 mile or more away from the water trough so they just HAVE to walk a little bit.. bonus points for a salt block in the other direction!

It's still in. I honestly would have thought it would have fell back out (and may still).

wbvs58":1pwvizer said:
Possibility it could have been a vaginal wall cyst that protrude when she was laying down ?????

Ken

I don't know enough to say. ive had a sprinkling of these over the years. This one appeared to be like the others. I have successfully put this kind in, and ran a boot lace across for a stitch. I have never put the other kind in by myself.

Latest posts