prolapse cow

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I have heard that a cow that prolapses will always prolapse. I have also heard that it is a genetic weakness if the reproductive muscle. most people have told me that a heifer or a bull out of a prolapse cow will pass this weak gene to its offspring. I have 2 cows in my herd that prolapsed during birth. I am probably going to send them packing. what do you do with your prolapse cows.

plbcattle":kczi0dt9 said:
I have heard that a cow that prolapses will always prolapse. I have also heard that it is a genetic weakness if the reproductive muscle. most people have told me that a heifer or a bull out of a prolapse cow will pass this weak gene to its offspring. I have 2 cows in my herd that prolapsed during birth. I am probably going to send them packing. what do you do with your prolapse cows.

at weaning time I sell the cow and calf . it is a genetic weakness ...

Put the uterus back. Let them raise their calf, if they're able. Cull them in the fall when the calf is weaned. Keep no heifers out of cows that prolapse.

Take care.

A little different view. We had an old Hereford cow that prolapsed, we have two of her daughters in the herd with no problems. I think that if you can break the link of the Hereford blood that has the tendncy to prolapse with another breed that you'll probably be ok. We used Red Angus as the break of the linkage.
The old girl prolapsed after she calved as a heifer. Conventional wisdom was that if they prolapse before the calve they always will, if after they calve the probably won't. Conventional wisdom didn't work in her case. Her second calve she prolapsed a month before calving. One of her daughters has produced two excellent steers in her two calves, the other has provided us with one of our prospective replacments for her first calf. I'll admit I keep a real jaundiced eye on both of them for any precursor signs that their mother displayed. Both are at 5 months and nothing yet. Their mother would start to swell after 3-4 months.

dun

she raised a 750 bull calf last fall. no prolapse problems. she is a coming 4 year old. she was bred to a LBW bull. why is it always the best ones that get sick or have problems.

I think a guy made a Law about bad things to good cows. I think his name was Murphy or something

plbcattle":3kg8cvda said:
she raised a 750 bull calf last fall. no prolapse problems. she is a coming 4 year old. she was bred to a LBW bull. why is it always the best ones that get sick or have problems.

See earlier posts concerning "Murphys Law"

dun

dun":oh4oxxdm said:
Conventional wisdom was that if they prolapse before the calve they always will, if after they calve the probably won't.

i've heard that if it's a vaginal prolapse, they'll prolapse again. uterine prolapse, there's a chance they won't. of course, this isn't set in stone, either.

prolapses can be genetic but they can also be caused by mineral or vitamin deficiencies or implanting heifers (with implants not specified for heifers or at certain ages.....too early or too old)

Campground Cattle":11f1gj4h said:
Salebarn bound we sell problems, don't spend good money on a maybe.

Thats how we see it . Plus killer cows are bring a good price ..

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2bt60efk said:
Dun are you sayin Herefords are prone or more prone to prolapse than other breeds?

Here's where the fights start. I do thiink that some bloodlines have a stronger tendency to prolapse then some others. I asked the a couple of vets about it when she prolapsed the first time. 3 of 3 all said they treat more prolapses in Herefords then other breeds.
We've had a number of registered Polled Herefords over the years and she's the only one that had any problems. I lay it to just the luck of the draw when we got her. But the two calves she raised both made replacments, and we're picky about what we put back into the herd.
There has been, I'm sure, a lot of work done within the breed to eliminate the problem just as Charolais and Simmenthals have worked on calving problems and limos have worked on disposition.
Now if we could just get rid of that ugly black hide on the black Angus we'ld be in good shape.

dun

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":22ukjs3g said:
I kinda like them black hides. Them black baldys are kinda cute jusrt like them white faced cattle.

The little red baldys/red neckers are my choice. Although we're keeping a black baldy as a replacement this year. At least we'll have a 50:50 chance of getting red out of her.

dun

dun":st2aywei said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":st2aywei said:
Dun are you sayin Herefords are prone or more prone to prolapse than other breeds?

3 of 3 all said they treat more prolapses in Herefords then other breeds.

dun
Your vet see many cattle with ear?

ollie":2nyhyjt1 said:
Your vet see many cattle with ear?

after working for a vet through high school & college, that's a good question, ollie. most of the prolapses our vet sees is in eared cattle.

Not around here. There is one Gert herd and a couple of Brangus herds, but that's about it. Very few people use straight bred Brahman bulls. The ear and leather dock and the lack of the real need fo traits that Brahman would contribute make them a pretty rare commodity.
One vet taught at KS, worked at MARC and practiced for a bit in central CA. Other then that he's been right around here. The other two never practiced anywhere other then this area. All three were born and raised right here.

dun

I have never had a prolapse but a friend of mine has several every year. Eared cattle.

Different areas, different cattle. You will see more Brahman influenced cattle in Texas and in Southern states so therefore, you will see more prolapses in Brahman in Texas and Southern states.

As for the prolapse, call the vet. have them put it back in and stich her up and haul her to the salebarn. That's why I don't buy cattle at the salebarns. You never know what you are going to get.

rgv4":y0tlkird said:
Different areas, different cattle. You will see more Brahman influenced cattle in Texas and in Southern states so therefore, you will see more prolapses in Brahman in Texas and Southern states.

As for the prolapse, call the vet. have them put it back in and stich her up and haul her to the salebarn. That's why I don't buy cattle at the salebarns. You never know what you are going to get.

She should be sold for slaughter at the sale barn.
I she is bred you would ask that she not be preg tested, that way she
go for slaughter.This wouldn't lose you any money unless she is a
young cow, and would save me a lot of grief.
Thank You
lunker

Latest posts