Profit

Help Support CattleToday:

well, it'll have to come around at some point for the cow/calf producer, since there is a good portion of the beef sold that does come from smaller ranches, and if they can't stay in business, and all their broodcows are sold as hamburger, sooner or later there will be a lot fewer cows having calves.. it may not happen next year, but maybe in 5 years you'll see the effect of it

when we bought our herd we bought bred heifers for $1000 each, calves for about 1.40/lb.. those were good times (not for us to be buying of course), but since costs have probably doubled since 1990, and prices have halved, there's just a limit to how much a smaller guy can sharpen his pencil.

around our place we've always insisted on having as big a variety of crops as we can handle, it's pretty rare that the price of everything crashes beyond what you can make a buck at, but if you grow some grain, some cows, etc, you will be padding yourself. you may never make much money as the example of grain and beef are things who's prices are always at odds with each other, but with the cows on the land you can grow the grain with less inputs, you can finish your own beef if you want to.

I sure hope prices come back to about 1.10 for next year, but I think .90 is more like what it will be

Nesikep":n4nvgvwt said:
well, it'll have to come around at some point for the cow/calf producer, since there is a good portion of the beef sold that does come from smaller ranches, and if they can't stay in business, and all their broodcows are sold as hamburger, sooner or later there will be a lot fewer cows having calves.. it may not happen next year, but maybe in 5 years you'll see the effect of it

when we bought our herd we bought bred heifers for $1000 each, calves for about 1.40/lb.. those were good times (not for us to be buying of course), but since costs have probably doubled since 1990, and prices have halved, there's just a limit to how much a smaller guy can sharpen his pencil.

around our place we've always insisted on having as big a variety of crops as we can handle, it's pretty rare that the price of everything crashes beyond what you can make a buck at, but if you grow some grain, some cows, etc, you will be padding yourself. you may never make much money as the example of grain and beef are things who's prices are always at odds with each other, but with the cows on the land you can grow the grain with less inputs, you can finish your own beef if you want to.

I sure hope prices come back to about 1.10 for next year, but I think .90 is more like what it will be

No it doesn't have to come around just import more from Mexico, Argentina, etc. We have a system of government in this country that is out to destroy it. Not getting political I don't care what party it is they have lost there bearing. I am not sure you could find one God fearing honest man in Washington. Take the EPA they are writting laws everyday and not one of the people employed was elected. They have turned the Republic into a dictatorship.

Caustic Burno":3djeor1j said:
No it doesn't have to come around just import more from Mexico, Argentina, etc. We have a system of government in this country that is out to destroy it. Not getting political I don't care what party it is they have lost there bearing. I am not sure you could find one God fearing honest man in Washington. Take the EPA they are writting laws everyday and not one of the people employed was elected. They have turned the Republic into a dictatorship.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Well said!

I really have a problem with the way the the US economic system has been working for many years.
In my younger years I remember everyone belly aching about the Made in Japan items all over the shelves. The US beat the H out of them then built the country up to where it is today. The same as the Made in China items we belly ache about today. China has bought so much of the raw material and fuel throughout the world that it has driven up the prices so high that it caused the world economy to get rattled. This also extends to the military. We train and sell fighting weapons to foreign countries only to have them used against us.
Our best technology is being sold to foreign countries to produce goods for the American consumer. Most of the time this same technology is not sold in the US as the inventors do not want the competition. If you do not think this affects agriculture just look at Bovine Elite Brahman bull sires. Most of the very best bull semen is sold foreign only. JD Huggins is the prime example. http://www.bovine-elite.com/brahm.asp Brazil and Australia now have some of the better stock available in the breed which exceeds what we produce in the US.
We have strict guide lines about how we can use herbicides and fertilizers imposed on how we raise products but we don't seem to give a hoot about what we buy from foreign nations.
Everyone is out to fill their own pockets not looking at the long term ramifications of their actions, especially politicians.

grannysoo":3m7kigkx said:
Caustic Burno":3m7kigkx said:

Does the phrase "taxation without representation" ring a bell with anyone? I, for one, am not feeling represented in DC. :mad: I've decided that I'm out of touch with the majority of my enlightened fellow citizens, or else they are not paying attention to what is going on in this Country.

skyline":3mm86erw said:
I've decided that I'm out of touch with the majority of my enlightened fellow citizens, or else they are not paying attention to what is going on in this Country.

Too much bias in the media and people being led by it.

Look at gun control issues. Drunks in cars can wipe out entire families and none of it makes national news. Someone gets shot, and it is aired 6 or 7 times during the day.

You are going to hear about Brittany Spears and Paris Hilton several times each day.

For several years now, if Cokie is on a broadcast, I am switching channels or turning it off. The list has grown a little. If it is something interesting, just go and google it.

As committees and government continue to demonstrate, you can easily review, analyze and strategize yourself into nonsense and inaction, becoming the proverbial dog wagged by an assortment of tails. Flying without direction makes as much sense.

I feel like the dog.

I don't know what to think. I heard the inventory had declined so it would seem things would be turning around some. But with all the other things happening I don't know if this will happen any time soon. There are only so many notches on a belt.

Jogeephus":14yxlfgs said:
As committees and government continue to demonstrate, you can easily review, analyze and strategize yourself into nonsense and inaction, becoming the proverbial dog wagged by an assortment of tails. Flying without direction makes as much sense.

I feel like the dog.

I don't know what to think. I heard the inventory had declined so it would seem things would be turning around some. But with all the other things happening I don't know if this will happen any time soon. There are only so many notches on a belt.
Improvise. First, buy a leather punch. Punch a few more notches in your belt. Then? Most folks would rather go out of business, than change.

Bluestem":3azfta1o said:
Jogeephus":3azfta1o said:

I feel like the dog.

Improvise. First, buy a leather punch. Punch a few more notches in your belt. Then? Most folks would rather go out of business, than change.

This is what I plan to do. I moved 100 rolls of peanut hay out of a man's way and he gave it to me. So right now my feed cost is free. But I assure you I won't be paying for the privilege of owning a cow.

novatech, Burno, and everyone else have said what i think alot better than I could have.

Every time I think that the ridiculousness has got to end soon, some other form of ridiculousness piles on top. It just never ends.

Katherine

skyline":vasakqib said:
grannysoo":vasakqib said:
Caustic Burno":vasakqib said:

Does the phrase "taxation without representation" ring a bell with anyone? I, for one, am not feeling represented in DC. :mad: I've decided that I'm out of touch with the majority of my enlightened fellow citizens, or else they are not paying attention to what is going on in this Country.

Yup and the specialty groups are destroying our country from the inside out. :x

Latest posts