??? PROFIT ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
OK SO I AM A NEWBIE ON THIS BOARD BUT I AM A 4TH GENERATION FARMBOY. AND I AM WANDERING WHAT ARE SOME TIPS FOR MAKING FARMING PROFITABLE? FARMING IS WHAT I LOVE BUT TO MAKE A LIVING AT IT IS VERY DIFFICULT. I WORK A FULL TIME JOB AND FARM THE REST OF THE TIME. I KNOW THIS IS A LOADED QUESTION. ;-)

The first thing is to quit typing in all caps unless you have a health oriented problem like one of the members do.

dun

My Dad used to tell me the only way to make farming profitable was to get a degree in Animal or Crop Science and go to work for a University. :lol:

What's happened to them Jawjuh Bulldogs? ;-)

not to be a smart alec, but typing in upper case or lower case does not affect my wallet. And the reason for doing so is because i have to use all caps for a mapping program where i work and i just forgot to take the caps lock off

Minimize expenses and maximize income. I know that sounds so simple that it sounds like a smart alec reply. However, it means do not spend any more money than necessary on things like new equipment and new trucks. Dont spend more money than necessary on fertilize, feed, hired labor, etc. Buy animals that work for you and dont pay a huge price just for something that looks good or fancy. You do the work to improve the animal so you get paid for it and not you payiing someone else for the improvements they have made. Do whatever you can to get the most money for the animals you sell. That may mean buying the animals back at the auction if they dont bring what they should. If you borrow alot of money on things that are not absolutely necessary, you are setting yourself up for disaster or you are tying your future to a life of making money for the bank before you have any for your family.

Honestly-- unless you hit a niche market . You better be going in with all the land paid for and most of the equipment.
Or else you are setting your family up for a rough go.

I'm having a REAL bad day today-- so its probably coloring my veiw--- Its not worth it
Keep your job and farm as a hobby

stocky":38l2z5ku said:
Minimize expenses and maximize income. I know that sounds so simple that it sounds like a smart alec reply. However, it means do not spend any more money than necessary on things like new equipment and new trucks. Dont spend more money than necessary on fertilize, feed, hired labor, etc. Buy animals that work for you and dont pay a huge price just for something that looks good or fancy. You do the work to improve the animal so you get paid for it and not you payiing someone else for the improvements they have made. Do whatever you can to get the most money for the animals you sell. That may mean buying the animals back at the auction if they dont bring what they should. If you borrow alot of money on things that are not absolutely necessary, you are setting yourself up for disaster or you are tying your future to a life of making money for the bank before you have any for your family.

Well said, and very good advice.

First Off make sure that you have a direction, then inventory your resources. Look at all of your resources and figure out away to capitalize on them. If that doesn't work you need more resources or better ones. What would you like to do?

DAWGONECATTLEMAN":13y4t5m0 said:
not to be a smart alec, but typing in upper case or lower case does not affect my wallet. And the reason for doing so is because i have to use all caps for a mapping program where i work and i just forgot to take the caps lock off

Industrial standards (I can relate to everything being all caps) are deemed offensive to many. Some say its yelling. These people obviously don't read blue prints or surveys all day long.

I have printed in all caps so long (over 30 years) that I have pretty much lost the ability to print by hand in small case. But it is "no big thang" on a keyboard. You'll get accustom to it easiliy.

As far as farming goes, if you are willing to work your tail off for about $3 an hour, you'll make a few nickels. The more hours you work, the less money you make per hour, but the more money you make. Equipment expenses figure in to cost. Keep your costs low in every avenue you take.

If you can grow turf grass and sell it to the golf courses, there's huge profits to be made farming it. All the landscape companies are paying big bucks for grass to lay out around new homes. It is a good racket at the moment and you can make a lot of money while still paying for irrigation to grow it too.

There is money is hay right now but that is a cycle. It helps to diversify into several aspects of it. If you can straight line monopolize, cutting off all the middle guys, it helps too. Growing steers "from cradle to grave" is doing a lot of folks good but there are FDA regulations for selling meat etc.

Develop a business plan, a real one with all the bases and aspects covered....the exercise will force you to take a real good look at your operation and decelop some realistic financial and business objectives, like why you are in farming in the first place and what you need to survive with you current and future plans. It's work but will be the best investiment of your time that you will spend if you are serious about farminf for a living.
The niche market is what we cater to and are expanding every year...just when I was looking at retirement.
Just my two bits worth.
Dave Mc

Crawl before you walk.
Too many people think that they have to have the latest piece of equipment, a brand new tractor, new stock trailer, a new portable corral/ head gate (to work those 4 cows with) and of course a $5000 four wheeler - I do not own one but everyone keeps telling me how much I need one.
Of course, the folks that do this sort of thing make for some good deals for the rest of us when the auction takes place.

thanks for all the replies. like i said when i joined the boards i do appreciate all the advise and opinions. i will try to make use of it. thanks again :)

Where are you Dawgone? I'm in Thomson and I'm the 8th generation on this place. Come on over for a visit.
gabby

I was thinking the same thing that dawgone was thinkin. i was wonderin how some of the successful cattlemen got their start. how old were most of you when you got into the industry.

Latest posts