Profit

Help Support CattleToday:

Over a 5 year span a good estimate would be $1.50. :lol:

Donnie Frazier":2eklmyld said:
Over a 5 year period when raising beef cows what is the average profit per year that you can usually figure on making? Thanks,

DF

It isn't the average that counts. Your question should be "What can I make?"

You'll have to do the work on that one. This board can shoot you lots of links to help with specific questions.

Donnie Frazier":7lu8jo1u said:
Over a 5 year period when raising beef cows what is the average profit per year that you can usually figure on making? Thanks,

DF

Do a search on the topic on this forum. It all depends on your setup.

KenB":23gclprl said:
:lol: Thats kind of like asking how many cows a rancher has.

I don't think he was asking that. Could be a kid wanting to learn.

Wewild":17x0dass said:
KenB":17x0dass said:

:oops: Yes you are correct, I didn't think about that when I made my comment.

KenB":2zwc0x8e said:
Wewild":2zwc0x8e said:
KenB":2zwc0x8e said:

:oops: Yes you are correct, I didn't think about that when I made my comment.

Then again ... he might not be. He is a very inquisitive
fellow.

Lets see if time will tell.

Try to plan on a 4 year payoff. or5. or 6. or? As everybody said way to many variables but remember, and this is harsh, but the less money u use to operate without comprimising their health is more money in ur pocket.

Takes roughly 400 dollars a year to up keep a cow and that is if you are close as bark on a tree with your money. Takes two calfs to pay for the cow so you are into season three before you realize any return on investment. National average used to be a 100 dollars a head profit, I don't know with the cost of fuel if it's that high now. Lots of money changes hands in the cattle business getting it to stop in your pocket is the trick we all struggle with.

Caustic Burno":2h9ltfo4 said:
National average used to be a 100 dollars a head profit, I don't know with the cost of fuel if it's that high now.

With the cost of fuel now, I'm sure most of us will be noticing a difference in the ledger.

Katherine

The problem with a new set up is quite simple.
Its not the big "buys" that get you, its the nickle and dime stuff that will last a lifetime, but have to be bought.
I agree with CB it takes two calfs to clear a cow, after that you have two choices.
1. lower input costs i.e cut it to the bone
2. raise sale price i.e. be a price setter rather than a price taker.

The second is much easier said than done, but it can be done with bull sales, grass feed "natural" beef sales and getting involved with you local coop to up your dollars while not able to gather like steers for loads.

The first is all about dicipline, no new truck tractor or home.
Keep both your personal and business spending down and save it for a rainy day, cause it will RAIN.
This can be done, but it will not be done as a "hobby" it requires real planning real work and real luck at times.
But it can be done
Good luck and thanks for playing

MD

Bud Williams Livestock Marketing school to the best of my memory says the average cow-calf producer makes a profit 3-4 years out of 10. The average feedlot and stocker operations make money about 5 out of 10 years.

Thanks to everyone for the input and ideas. After reading most of the responses I can't help but wonder why anyone would be in the cattle business. I have just started out with 4 this year and have had them bred. I wanted to work up to about 100 head of beef cattle. I am not so sure now : )

Donnie....most of us just like the smell of fresh manure wafting in on a cool breeze in early morning while we're having coffee and a little breakfast.
Keep accurate records...no fudgung..and see where your money is actually going...may be surprized to see how many lunches and nice to have things we pick up on a trip to town and use cow money to pay for it.
We expect to put a few green dollars in our pocket this year when all is said and done...looks good so far but still have to put some more hay up.
DMc

Latest posts