$Profit

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Thomas Angus Ranch has a new proposition on each bull in their sale - $Profit. Supposed to be a computer algorithm generated the director of genetic research at the angus association. Evidently you dump all the EPD numbers into a computer and it cranks out a $profit for each bull over a span of criteria (100 calves, retain ownership, keep 30% of heifers as replacements, etc....). So a bull with a $profit of $14000 vs $10000 will deliver $40 more profit per calf (based on the expected 100 calves) in a bulls lifetime.

Of course, there's no indication that any of this has been proven in actual commercial experience - nor am I sure how they would without enormous expense.

I think things are going a little overboard.....

In the meantime, I think I have to go sleeve up - got another one I suspect of twins. Wonder when propensity for twins will become an epd..... $T. I'd avoid those like the plague....

Indices are created to add opinions to EPDs. If you have solid EPDs know them and motor on. If you do not have solid EPDs, have above average knowledge about the cattle you consider. Otherwise, buy cheap to hold down losses.