Profit when buying all your feed

Help Support CattleToday:

LJCC":17roppeg said:
1800lbs of ground corn and 200lbs of medicated supplement per ton. The supplement is 42% crude protein, 8% calcium. Made up of SBM, DDGS, Canola, and a ton of other stuff.
Gotta have some urea in it too. Can't get 42% with those ingredients AND still have room in the formula for 8% calcium in the supplement.

Steve, that is for sure! TexasBred, upon further inspection it does show that it has urea in it. If my understanding is correct, don't Holstiens need more calcium than what colored cattle need?

LJCC":cnb1ptfl said:
1800lbs of ground corn and 200lbs of medicated supplement per ton. The supplement is 42% crude protein, 8% calcium. Made up of SBM, DDGS, Canola, and a ton of other stuff.

I didn't run these ingredients but simple math tells me that you may be low on protein and very low if you add beet pulp to this mix.

1800lbs @ 9% + 200lbs @ 42%= 2000lbs@ 12.3%

Based on DM you can add up to 1/2 beet pulp to the ration . I have no idea if a Holstein would gain good on that amount. I wish I had beet pulp to feed at that level for my black calves.
You can assume DM consumption around 3% of BW.
So a 1000lbs of animal could eat around 88lbs of Beet pulp (17%DM)/day included as 50% DM

A load is at least 40,000 lbs- which would feed 65000 lbs of animals for one week or 65-- 1000 lb animals or 130 ---500 lb animals.

All rough numbers feel free to double check my math.

LJCC":3o6pkh4d said:
Steve, that is for sure! TexasBred, upon further inspection it does show that it has urea in it. If my understanding is correct, don't Holstiens need more calcium than what colored cattle need?
Not really. Dairy cattle just receive about 8 times more feed per day than a typical beef cow so they still get plenty of calcium when included at normal levels.

Thank you so much for the information so far guys! Once the steer hits 700lbs, what percent protein should the feed be? Also, what implants would be the best for them? Right now I give them Ralgro.

LJCC":3aqyul3h said:
Thank you so much for the information so far guys! Once the steer hits 700lbs, what percent protein should the feed be? Also, what implants would be the best for them? Right now I give them Ralgro.
I'd recommend you add some rumensin to the feed mix. As for implants I've never used them. Some of the other folks can help you on that.

LJCC":jh05cglz said:
We use a special blend of Kent Feeds NRB 40-25, instead of the standard 300R 90T we feed 400R 250T. Mixed at 8%. Encore implant has shown the best results just don't expect it to last the 400 days.

Latest posts