Profession and Yourself

Help Support CattleToday:

talldog

Reaction score
What is your profession, other than ranching or farming, and give a short description on your background.

OK---Here goes-- Raised in a slaughter house working with my Dad and Grandad-- Then when the government put us out I went into the trucking( Refrigerated) buisness. Sold out after a long while and followed one of our loves---Showing Dogs. In '94 built and still operate a boarding kennel and grooming shop with my wife. Just put the buisness up for sale and moving to the farm for the rest of what time the Good Lord will grant me. I'm 60 yrs old and my wife is 58----To quote my ole Pappy---If you hadn't got it at 60----Good chance you want !!! :tiphat:

Raised on the farm where the wife and i live. Handed from my grandpa to my dad to me. Worked at about any thing over the years. Planted pine trees all over the south, the oilfeild for a while. Worked in the log woods a cutting logs, made junk piles with a bunch of chain saws. Had a little construction company for a while doing water and sewer systems. Framed houses for a while. Have about 10 years doing custom dozer work. Currently do contract work for Arkansas Game and Fish and farm. I don't got no profession.

Work in the Forensic Science field for the last 34 years. (Real CSI and not that TV Crap) Will be retiring to our farm in SE Georgia the end of this year or the beginning of next. Looking forward to some quiet time. Trying to get the Farm part built. (fences, buildings ect.). House is done except for the wood floors. (waiting till we move in so they don't get messed up). Married for 30 years to my wonderful wife. (She grew up on a farm, however doesn't share my love of animals). No children, so we get to keep our money and sanity. (college, moving back in, ect.)

Full time job is turning wrenches, did fleet work for 12 years then moved to the family farm. Since then its been construction, farm and industrial equipment repair, 26 years of turning wrenches. Farm is a part time thing for me.

Grew up in NJ suburb. Went to school in NC, worked four year on college farm with commercial beef cattle and farrow to finish hogs. For twelve years, managed an estate selling grassfed beef, pastured pork and free range chicken and eggs, and raising Arabian horses. Spent a few years on different farms with Thoroughbreds, dressage horses and cutting horses. For the past four years, managing a NH estate, raising Hereford cattle.

Before I married my husband I worked in the restraunt sector cooking and managing kitchens. I also worked for a 5 star hotel in the kitchen. Loved that job. It had 5 kitchens plus the main kitchen, and a bakery. Never got bored in that job, lots of movement. My husband moved to the city after he graduated. Joined the airforce reservse and took the trade of air frame tech. He also got his pilots licence and was a courier in the city. Once we moved back to the farm, we both got our school bus licence and drove regular routes. He got laid off due to decreased work and i am still driving. The bus driving worked well with the farm.

OLF said:
Grew up in NJ suburb. Went to school in NC, worked four year on college farm with commercial beef cattle and farrow to finish hogs. For twelve years, managed an estate selling grassfed beef, pastured pork and free range chicken and eggs, and raising Arabian horses. Spent a few years on different farms with Thoroughbreds, dressage horses and cutting horses. For the past four years, managing a NH estate, raising Hereford cattle.

Is this farm called Oak Ledge Farm and shows at the Keystone here in October? off topic I know.

Worked at odd jobs after high school. Hubby is a cabinet maker and works with his family business. I stay home to take care of cattle and kids.

L Weir":1gqm47rc said:
OLF":1gqm47rc said:

Is this farm called Oak Ledge Farm and shows at the Keystone here in October? off topic I know.
Nope. I know the Bonnette's well, but I am at Overlook Farm. We might make our first trip to Keystone this year.

Grew up in the suburbs, but spent time on farms in the family and liked it. My profession is in the seedstock beef industry, working for a management company that specialized in providing registration service and general admin for breed registries. Have worked with a lot of different breeds, breeders and associations over the last 16 years. Bought a place in the country to have horses, then slid into the cattle biz sideways by winning a good Tarentaise heifer in a fundraiser raffle. Bought a 2nd one and have been building up a herd. Fortunate to have started out with good genetics, and especially to have access to great bulls from a friend/mentor's herd and semen tank.

OLF":yhos9e2t said:

Hey Olf---Looking a good cow horse here in NC----Any Help ??

I was raised beef and hay farming and went to work on pipeline construction when I was 14 with my dad,have worked on a couple good sized cow/calf operations back in the late 80s and a ran good sized yearling operation in Nebraska the cow calf op were in Ok
came back to Missouri and owned a heavy construction company doing underground utilities and sewage treatment plants for several yrs sold it about 5 yrs ago and started running cow/calf pairs and started doing custom farm work ie: fencing,brushogging,baling,building pipe corrals etc..

took a partner on cow calf business and wife quit her job of 16 yrs as an insurance adjuster because of an unfortunate accident and me and her just work together
then I bought another bulldozer and I have started back doing some construction but just mainly roads and clearing land and fence rows for farmers

that is about it we make a good living doing what we want to do and not many people can say that
our goal in is to get to about 300 momma cows in the next 5 yrs

I'm 40 and have been on the same farm all my life. It was started by my Granddaddy then my daddy came to work for him about the time I was born. We are in E. AR. and it is a row crop operation with cotton being the main crop followed by soybeans then corn in the least amount of acres. Got back in the cows last fall after being out the last 17, was just going to run stockers in the winter but I enjoy them so much I'm not going to be without them anymore. The goal with the cows now is to loose the least amount of money and going to try running a large number of someone else's stockers in the winter to hopefully pay for my cow habit.

I've lived on our farm my whole life, and we currently have 3 generations on the place. My family got out of cattle when I was a child, but got back in a few years ago and we're building the herd. I have a degree in Language Arts Education and was a teacher for a while, but now I work from home as a freelance writer - thus my member name. I feel as blessed as I could possibly be in that regard. Everybody else (parents and husband) works a full time job off the farm, pitching in evenings/weekends. My parents also have horses, but I don't care for them, and we have some timber.

Raised on a tobacco farm. Share crop farming so we hever had much. Milked a few cows also.
Out of school worked in coal mines, tire shop, while still tobacco farming. Since 16 years old have been a wildland firefighter, first 10 years part time and last 26 years years full time with the Virginia Department of Forestry. I travel all over the US fighting fires so I get to see a lot of your country.
Keep about 70 cow/calf pairs and buy and trade several cows a year. Usually run a few stockers also if I have the extra grass. Any thing that will make a dollar.

My first 10 years I grew up on Air Force bases around the country - mostly the south. Dad retired from the service when I was 11, we moved back home to Louisiana, and he started raising cattle. Being the only son left at home, I got to learn fencing, haying, working cattle first hand. Graduated from LSU 1992 in management, and have been "managing" since then. Day job is Production manager at a local plant. wife of 16 years this coming Thursday is a computer programmer. Three kids - one boy. Have cows on ~ 100 acres at my place and more at my dad's place. I've played the guitar since age 18, and built them for the last 10 years or so. Love woodworking also. Looks like I'll add goats to the list soon, and can't forget the Arabian horses. Way to many "hobbies", but I'd like to farm/ranch when I retire.

MO_cows":3gn82ww8 said:
Grew up in the suburbs, but spent time on farms in the family and liked it. My profession is in the seedstock beef industry, working for a management company that specialized in providing registration service and general admin for breed registries. Have worked with a lot of different breeds, breeders and associations over the last 16 years. Bought a place in the country to have horses, then slid into the cattle biz sideways by winning a good Tarentaise heifer in a fundraiser raffle. Bought a 2nd one and have been building up a herd. Fortunate to have started out with good genetics, and especially to have access to great bulls from a friend/mentor's herd and semen tank.

You don't happen to work for the ABRA do you?

Dad had horses and cattle up until I was 6 years old and we moved to Alaska. Came back to Texas when I was 10 and Dad got back in. Grandaddy always ran cattle and I spent a lot of time with him. In my teenage years I vowed to never own cows or have a garden. I still don't have a garden.

Went to work for Brown and Root as a gopher at 18. Got in to the welding program there and stayed after work in the evenings learning to be a welder. Once my stick certification was attained, I kept going for heliarc. Before finishing I broke out as a Instrument fitter. I never finished welding school but started college at nights, Engineering. In '86 I broke out into engineering and it was of course instrumentation. Actual experienced helped. I am INPO certified as I & C and Mech Engineering (nuke power signature authority). This has been ongoing since '86 and it pays okay.

My spare time is spent chasing cows or helping others with cattle. I still weld a lot from training back in '78. Never used that professionally. I am an ASME and ISA member. ASME continuing training on metallurgical studies has been revealing thru the years.

My ancestry goes way back in Texas. Most all on Dad's side are Cajuns with some coming on Spanish land grants. Most were in the cattle industry.

Latest posts