Produce scraps for cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

garyws

Reaction score
My local supermarket discards lots of trimmings from their produce department. Have yall ever heard of anybody feeding these to cattle? Seems to me they would thrive on this stuff but not sure. Please advise. Thanks! :tiphat:

I don't believe I would use the term "thrive". They will sure eat most of those trimmings. But remember most produce has a fairly high moisture content. If it is quick and easy to handle and free you could feed it as a part of their ration. Some of that stuff is pretty nutritious on a dry matter basis but it will be well over 90% moisture.

Our local grocers, unfortunately, toss it into a dumpster with a lock on it so people won't take it. :roll:

I think the cows would eat the heck out of it, but I agree with Dave, I would consider it a supplemet to what they are already eating and not use it as the sole ration.

Fruit and fruit trimmings will do well with cattle if you can avoid choking hazard. Companies around here that process fresh fruit for grocery store cups ready to eat and school lunches (apple slices) have a big demand for scraps. Have to feed pronto due to spoilage and bad side is too fat on grown cows with almost a diabetic condition if fed too much too long. Cattle will look like marshmallows on toothpicks when overdone. Most vegetables are 90+% water.

You will just be replacing 5 or maybe 10 pounds of hay. How much is the hay worth and how much is the time and energy spent doing that worth.
There is a big vegetable processing plant near me. A person can get semi loads of their waste and scrap delivered pretty cheap. Some people feed it fresh, some put it into silage. But cows seem to love it all. But from a store you aren't getting it by the truck load. More like a garbage can full.

Latest posts