Processing

Help Support CattleToday:

sudonsan":3t6ozspb said:
As a 'newbie' not feeling welcome. I'm gone.
Stick around, hell the posse has not even started to get on their horses yet, this here is just the scouts out looking for new prey. When the posse rides I'll help you out regardless if you are wrong or right I'll be there. Chances are good when the posse is after you you must be right. I just noticed it does not say where you are from, if you are from Virginia or Florida I may not be any help to you on account of sometimes it gets so hot there that folks brains melt from the extreme heat.

TennesseeTuxedo":3h89r4yx said:
sudonsan":3h89r4yx said:
Why come to the beginners board if you don't want to help beginners?

Excellent point.

So somewhere in this thread Sudonsan, you indicated you were selling or planning to sell grass fed Longhorn beef to a niche market and that market was health conscious red meat lovers. You brought up white chicken meat and cited some numbers and a specific web page as supporting that statement. It sounds like you plan to sell your grass fed Longhorn beef as a healthy alternative to other red meats.

I would ask, rhetorically anyway, do you not expect the same and probably other, tougher questions from those you would have as customers? Will you be able to belay those questions off to the Texas Longhorn ... Assoc.. and expect to win these folks as your customer? Will you believe these customers, with these same questions are attacking you or the Longhorn breed or will you have prepared and have the answers so you can finish the job of marketing your product?

And whether or not you recognize it as what it is that is the last bit of help I plan to give you tonight on this beginners thread.

At no time did I feel like I was attacking, whipping, smacking, whatever. I tried to be very careful in my remarks to avoid causing exactly those feelings in you. Clearly I failed and for that I am sorry.

sudosan,
As mentioned previously, the breed of the cattle has a lot to do with how much meat you end up with (the percentage). A heavily muscled breed will naturally dress better than a lighter muscled breed like many of the average Longhorns.

I don't know how long you have been in the cattle industry, but if you are just starting out and want to go the Longhorn route, be prepared to do a lot of work to promote your beef. If I were you, I would go to the processor that you plan to use and ask him about his experience with Longhorns.

Don't get me wrong. I like Longhorns. I had one and only lost $25 when I had to sell her. She was a fence jumper and would not stay home. The main problem with Longhorns is that should you need to sell at an auction barn, you will not get a lot of money compared to other beef breeds. And if you try to sell to an individual, that is tough too. Chances are people won't be beating your door down for your cattle.

There are folks here who raised registered LH stock and there are some that have crossbred LH cows as commercial cattle. They do well, but they have been in the business for years and in some cases promote their cattle through showing at the major stock shows.

If you do a little research, you can find that most every breed has a reason why it's beef is better. It is a marketing ploy and will work if you can reach the right people who will pay the $$$ for the product. Your average consumer probably will not, just because of the cost.

Good luck with your venture.

sudonsan":3f320r02 said:
No - this started as a question about processing. I quoted what the national organization Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America provides to its members and I HAVE BEEN REPEATEDLY expected to defend this. How in the world is a NEWBIE supposed to defend with the national organization has researched and provided their members???? And your comment is FLIP and NOT welcoming AT ALL. I don't know it all - not even close - I am a NEWBIE. But to repeatedly CHALLENGE me is ridiculous! SOME people wanted to have a discussion - but a few wanted to be RIGHT - different entirely. I'm not leaving cattle or longhorns - only judgmental people. I am tired of trying to DEFEND, not discuss - did you read the entire thread??? It wasn't ONE comment. How can I defend research I didn't do????

Some of the people here do not want to welcome new people.

Don't let it get to you. Mention LH cattle here and you're gonna get slammed. That's just how it is.

Mention the climate in Scotland where Angus come from and compare it to Texas, you're gonna get slammed.

As a matter of fact, say anything negative about Angus, you're gonna get slammed.

Say anything negative about anyone's favorite breed, they are gonna get offended.

A friend bought a steer or half steer from me over and over thru the years. He had a heart attack a few years back. His doctor has told him he can eat all the beef he wants to eat, provided it is LH. He asks me every year to find him a LH and I don't have them. I am not a Dr. I am not a nutritionalist. I am simply a person trying to help a friend who was a customer.

Leave if you want. There are a lot of good folks here. Idiots too. Most of us tell it like we see it. We aint saying we're right. We aint saying anyone else is wrong. We are just telling folks what works for us, in our climates and in our markets.

RAB (Running Arrow Bill), Ryan, War Paint and some others on here run LH. I liked them all. Great folks. The angus folks beat the hades out of them every time they offer anything on here. They have great pictures of Medina gates and lots of info to offer. They hardly post any more.

TXBobcat is another good cattleman who hardly posts any more. He ran LH out of China Spring TX. Can't believe I forgot to mention him.

If you could get the horns off the LH, I don't like horns and neither do the order buyers.
Cross a LH with a Brimmer cow and have a cow that would produce for fifty years off barb wire and briars.
Come back with an English bull and get some great calves.
The problem is with LH is the buyers as well as brimmer calves at the barn you will starve to death trying to give them away.
Run a set of tiger heifers through and a fight breaks out on who gets to haul them home.
I think the LH people missed the boat in not creating a polled composite, I have always thought they would be in demand as much as the Tigers.

TennesseeTuxedo":fr9f3ebi said:
So an Angus bull will not knock the horns off the calf?

Not always neighbor just dropped off a 1/2 Angus 1/2 LH to play with Obama.
Cow is out of a registered Angus and LH.
She is a wild colored thing as well. He drops her off every year to bred to my bull for his freezer beef.
The 3/4 English 1/4 LH grows off into a fine calf.
It is real hard to knock the chrome and bumpers of a LH.
Natural selection genetics are strong.

Caustic Burno":2srivpys said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2srivpys said:
So an Angus bull will not knock the horns off the calf?

Not always neighbor just dropped off a 1/2 Angus 1/2 LH to play with Obama.
Cow is out of a registered Angus and LH.
She is a wild colored thing as well. He drops her off every year to bred to my bull for his freezer beef.
The 3/4 English 1/4 LH grows off into a fine calf.
It is real hard to knock the chrome and bumpers of a LH.
Natural selection genetics are strong.

Interesting. Thanks.

Caustic Burno":pgbi3q2e said:
If you could get the horns off the LH, I don't like horns and neither do the order buyers. I think the LH people missed the boat in not creating a polled composite, I have always thought they would be in demand as much as the Tigers.
Personally I would believe that dehorned solid colored LH or Corriente cows will be in demand than these ones that still has horns. These dehorned cows often bring better prices at the sale barn and almost always $200-400 higher than the typical horned LH prices.

Longhorns & Corrientes around here remained cheap.

Caustic Burno":3loy5te0 said:
If you could get the horns off the LH, I don't like horns and neither do the order buyers.
Cross a LH with a Brimmer cow and have a cow that would produce for fifty years off barb wire and briars.
Come back with an English bull and get some great calves.
The problem is with LH is the buyers as well as brimmer calves at the barn you will starve to death trying to give them away.
Run a set of tiger heifers through and a fight breaks out on who gets to haul them home.
I think the LH people missed the boat in not creating a polled composite, I have always thought they would be in demand as much as the Tigers.

Mortality is a plus. Longevity a plus. Low input. Low maintenance. Healthy beef. I simply couldn't make enough nickels with them to justify anything but hobby time. It is a market problem only. Nothing wrong with the animals.

backhoeboogie":2li995t1 said:
TXBobcat is another good cattleman who hardly posts any more. He ran LH out of China Spring TX. Can't believe I forgot to mention him.

Yep, we're still running Longhorns. We still have some registered cows and also have started running some Longhorn x Angus crosses over the last few years. Some people love Longhorns and some hate 'em. Whatever the case may be, you have to raise what you like, whether you're motivated by profit or pleasure. I personally love the Longhorn ground beef, as it is lean and not greasy. However, as far as a good steak, I like a little more marbling than a straight Longhorn produces.

Time will tell, but so far, the Longhorn x Angus heifers seem to make a good replacement cow. Down the road, I would like to try crossing them with a polled Charolais bull to make a nice terminal calf..

TXBobcat":1y2yj6hz said:
backhoeboogie":1y2yj6hz said:

Yep, we're still running Longhorns. We still have some registered cows and also have started running some Longhorn x Angus crosses over the last few years. Some people love Longhorns and some hate 'em. Whatever the case may be, you have to raise what you like, whether you're motivated by profit or pleasure. I personally love the Longhorn ground beef, as it is lean and not greasy. However, as far as a good steak, I like a little more marbling than a straight Longhorn produces.

Time will tell, but so far, the Longhorn x Angus heifers seem to make a good replacement cow. Down the road, I would like to try crossing them with a polled Charolais bull to make a nice terminal calf..

I'd love to see some pictures if you don't mind posting them.

Sudonsan,
Welcome and don't get discouraged. I have mixed feelings about LH. I like the cows especially 1/4 blood cow. When I was going to SFASU in Nacogdoches, TX back in the early 1970's, the man who owned the sale barn had a set of 1/2 Brahman, 1/4 Hereford, 1/4 Longhorn cows that were calf raising machines. He used Hereford and Charolais bulls on these cows (this was before the black hide craze).

The calf buyer side of me dislikes LH and LH cross calves because they grow slower and have higher cost of gain in the feed yard and do not yield as much red meat.

Latest posts