Processing a Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I wish I had a picture. He was crippled from the cow stomping him when born trying to protect from Buzzards after the afterbirth. It is a miracle he made it and had a great mother. His back foot was deformed from being crushed, back broke and walked sideways. I feed him to himself a while and he became pretty much a pet. On the market he would have brought nothing. I bet I had $300 worth of three way 16% feed in him.
No no. Sorry, I didn't mean your cripple. I ment the OP's health four legged bull.
Crippled calves are their own separate category. If you get anything out of one you did good.

He may be a little leaner than a steer but if you put the feed to him and get some fat on him he probably will not be much different than a if he was a steer. We kept a bull intact after weaning once with the intent to sell him as a yearling bull and he just did not develop they way we had hoped so we put the feed to him in the spring and sent him to the locker for ourselves and he surprisingly turned out to be much more tender than we thought he would be.

I have one that has not been cut yet and he is about 11 months old. I am planning on having him processed in about 5 months. At this stage, is it worth cutting him or should I just let him be to maximize his gains? If he is processed say at 16 months, what effect will that have on the meat, good or bad if he is left intact? He will be finished on corn along with a steer for the last 90-120 days.
I had a bull that i banded a couple of months ago, to make a freezer beef next summer.....he was probably 900 lb or so. I slit the bottom 1/3 of his scrotum like I usually do my young bulls. he went off by himself for about 4 days....didn't see him, must have made him sick or something....then showed back up. I'm thinking he may have been better off cut at that size.

Latest posts