Processing a Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have one that has not been cut yet and he is about 11 months old. I am planning on having him processed in about 5 months. At this stage, is it worth cutting him or should I just let him be to maximize his gains? If he is processed say at 16 months, what effect will that have on the meat, good or bad if he is left intact? He will be finished on corn along with a steer for the last 90-120 days.

How big is he? He won't marble as well with his testicles attached. If you want to leave him intact, I'd start the corn sooner rather than later to offset it.
He is about 650-700lb right now. I guess I will just cut him. He won't be optimal weight for processing, but I have to work with what I have, I have had the appointments since last December.

We have had a couple young bulls processed at 17,18 months old. We thought they they turned out fine, but did have them on heavy feed for around four months. Both yielded over 800lbs hanging weight.

Interesting topic as I have a bull around 800 lbs. his mama crippled him when he was born protecting from buzzards. He walks sideways as his foot was crushed and probably his back broken the way it is swayed.

Last edited:
Interesting topic as I have a bull around 800 lbs. his mama crippled him when he was born protecting from buzzards. He walks sideways as his foot was crushed and probably his back broken the way it is swayed.
Makes perfect sense with a cripple.
But if I had a 800 uncut bull calf and needed something to slaughter I'd take it to the sale and swap it for a 700 hiefer and finish it right.

Makes perfect sense with a cripple.
But if I had a 800 uncut bull calf and needed something to slaughter I'd take it to the sale and swap it for a 700 hiefer and finish it right.
I am thinking maybe 10 cents a pound at the sale barn or 20 cents, who knows. I have a slaughter house about an hour drive away they will pay me dressed weight and take the cripple out of the equation. If getting one processed was not such a wait I would try him. He has been getting about a gallon or more of 16% 3 way feed a day for maybe 3 months.

Maybe your new dog will keep them buzzards away in the future. They are a problem here also.

I am thinking maybe 10 cents a pound at the sale barn or 20 cents, who knows. I have a slaughter house about an hour drive away they will pay me dressed weight and take the cripple out of the equation. If getting one processed was not such a wait I would try him. He has been getting about a gallon or more of 16% 3 way feed a day for maybe 3 months.
I can get him next week at Treadway or will. give .20

I can get him next week at Treadway or will. give .20
I took him and a cow to Southeastern Provisions last week. They paid $1.20/lb dressed weight, he dressed out 461 lbs. and the old cow had bad feet had lost weight and she dressed out 520 lbs. I would have like to have had him in the freezer, but I figured a long wait. The Treadway slaughter house looks nice from the road. Thanks.
[h2][/h2]

I took him and a cow to Southeastern Provisions last week. They paid $1.20/lb dressed weight, he dressed out 461 lbs. and the old cow had bad feet had lost weight and she dressed out 520 lbs. I would have like to have had him in the freezer, but I figured a long wait. The Treadway slaughter house looks nice from the road. Thanks.
[h2][/h2]
Talk to @ClinchValley86 before you take any to Treadway. I think @kenny thomas has taken some. So far, I am not convinced. I am told that the meat cutter's experience was with "box meat" and not custom meat. But, full disclosure, I have not taken anything there to be processed.

My first thought is under 800lbs cut him and he will do fine. Lots of guys like feeding yearling bulls. They cut them or band them depending on their situation. They can usually piece together a lot full cheaper than buying a load of even strs.
That being said, I like Fence's idea better. Well the bull and buy a her to finish.

My first thought is under 800lbs cut him and he will do fine. Lots of guys like feeding yearling bulls. They cut them or band them depending on their situation. They can usually piece together a lot full cheaper than buying a load of even strs.
That being said, I like Fence's idea better. Well the bull and buy a her to finish.
I wish I had a picture. He was crippled from the cow stomping him when born trying to protect from Buzzards after the afterbirth. It is a miracle he made it and had a great mother. His back foot was deformed from being crushed, back broke and walked sideways. I fed him to himself and he became pretty much a pet. On the market he would have brought nothing. I bet I had $300 worth of three way 16% feed in him.

Last edited:
Talk to @ClinchValley86 before you take any to Treadway. I think @kenny thomas has taken some. So far, I am not convinced. I am told that the meat cutter's experience was with "box meat" and not custom meat. But, full disclosure, I have not taken anything there to be processed.
I'm not totally convinced in the slaughterhouse but all the customers think it's fine. I have hauled 12 there this year so far and have a few more booked.

[h2][/h2]
You done really good there.

Latest posts