Processing a 7 yr old cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We are going back and forth about what to have processed. We have a 2 yr old heifer but she will need to be fed a while. Also have 7 yr old cow that is in pretty good shape as is and maybe a few weeks of feeding would do for her. Initially we are thinking hamburger but also wondering about how roasts and steaks might be from her. It's a Hereford cow.

If you have enough meat in the freezer to carry you through, I'd eat the 2yr old. Hamburger would be okay, but I'm not sure how well a 7year-old would be marbled.

7yo cow=supermarket meat
2yo heifer (with some feed to finish)=should be better eating steaks

If you are willing to "settle" (and I say that lightly) for supermarket meat and need/want it right away, go for the cow. Roasts/stew would probably be okay to cut, but I wouldn't put too high of expectations on steaks. She could make some good eating steaks, but they'll be different than a young heifer. The muscles are looser, so they may not look exactly the same.

We decided to go with the heifer. We are mainly wanting hamburger out of this one but may get some roasts out of it if it had enough finish. We have a horned Hereford steer held back to process this fall, I will feed him heavy for around 3 months and he should finish pretty good for roasts and steaks as well as more hamburger.

Only eat heifers here. Take an older heifer that won't catch or slips her calf, and let her pasture for free for the summer. Aim for about 26-28 months of age. Usually come around in prime shape off grass and throw a few weeks of grain at them.

I would never eat a cow. That is what bulk price burger at the store is for.

Check that, I did eat a steak from an old cow at a friend's house once. Tough and tasteless. Got it to go down with 1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce. They thought it was great. So I am glad there are people that will eat the crap. Not me. Heeeellll no. Prime and perfect is all I eat.

Well here's my 2 cents worth. Take her to a good butcher after sweet feeding her for 2 weeks. You been feeding her for 7 years. Feed her eat her but respect her more than all. By the way they say hamburger going up up up from some processing closing. Enjoy.

Got an old one who calved but didn't make a bag. She's going to the butcher. Think I'll keep the steaks and have them run through the tenderizer.

I want to put some weight on her, what should I feed her? Corn/soybean meal at around 10-11% protein? Need to fatten her up a little.

BFE said:
Got an old one who calved but didn't make a bag. She's going to the butcher. Think I'll keep the steaks and have them run through the tenderizer.

I want to put some weight on her, what should I feed her? Corn/soybean meal at around 10-11% protein? Need to fatten her up a little.

I'm feeding our beef mostly corn and mixing some of mixed feed with it so she will eat it. I would think corn with soybean meal would be fine as long as it will readily eat it. Mine aren't used to mostly corn so some don't readily eat it as well.

Ky hills said:
We are going back and forth about what to have processed. We have a 2 yr old heifer but she will need to be fed a while. Also have 7 yr old cow that is in pretty good shape as is and maybe a few weeks of feeding would do for her. Initially we are thinking hamburger but also wondering about how roasts and steaks might be from her. It's a Hereford cow.

I know many will disagree with me but we raised Horned Herfs for years.

My favorite meat always came from the cow that did not have a calf in the Spring.

We left her on grass all summer and killed her in the fall.

Cut her up and never had anyone complain about the steaks or roasts.

Just my thoughts,

L

Latest posts