problems

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How do I get my 3yr. old gelding to stop wrearing(sp?) up on me. Last night he went over backwards. He just started this. Also he goes nuts when I have him away from from my 3yr. old filly any ideas? Thanks

do you fall off when he does this, because if you do, then thre's a good chance he does it to get you off his back. so make sure you never fall off. hug his neck when he reares, don't pull back on the reins and force him to move, that way he has to come down.

the thing with the filly is probably just because they've never been separated. make him gert used to it: tak ehim away from her, but let him go back to her as soon as he stops protesting. after a while he'll know that they won't be separated for a long time.

[email protected]

> How do I get my 3yr. old gelding
> to stop wrearing(sp?) up on me.
> Last night he went over backwards.
> He just started this. Also he goes
> nuts when I have him away from
> from my 3yr. old filly any ideas?
> Thanks Yes I fell off, he went over backards and landed on me.

> do you fall off when he does this,
> because if you do, then thre's a
> good chance he does it to get you
> off his back. so make sure you
> never fall off. hug his neck when
> he reares, don't pull back on the
> reins and force him to move, that
> way he has to come down.

> the thing with the filly is
> probably just because they've
> never been separated. make him
> gert used to it: tak ehim away
> from her, but let him go back to
> her as soon as he stops
> protesting. after a while he'll
> know that they won't be separated
> for a long time.

Yes I fell off, he went over backwards and fell on me, any other ideas?

all you have to do is get him to move forward when he does that rearing, but also make sure that when he stands perfectly still when you mount him (he can't move even a tid bit). and don't fall off. Look, a horse will never fall bacwards because of rearing unless you make him do so by pulling him over, and that's what you have to avoid. you must lean forward. also let him know you're angry at him, so a good yell in his ear can do little wonders.

from what i understand this horse has just found a way to get away from working. now it's twice as hard to teach him that work is fun.

[email protected]

Check to make sure your horse doesn't have a sore tooth. In addition, what type of bit are you using? Could it be possible that it doesn't fit properly or might it be pinching his mouth? All the situations could cause your horse to rear.

[email protected]

Jill, I hate to say this, but your horse is doing the one thing that is most dangerouse among riding horses. Rearing up is extremely dangerous to you and is a very difficult behavior to modify. Some horses cannot ever be considered safe once they have started rearing. If the behavior is modified, the horse still sometimes reverts to the behavior if stressed or frightened.

You need the assistance of a professional trainer. I've know more than one person who kept a horse that reared and one owner wound up with a fractured pelvis, while the other owner broke her back.

Do not get back on this horse until you have your tack and the horse's behavior evaluated by a professional trainer.

The problem could be caused by a tooth, or by improperly fitting tack, but whatever the cause, the behavior is one that has to be addressed by a professional.

I'm sorry to sound so negative, but please seek professional help and do follow the trainer's advice.

> Thanks

>Where is he when is starts the rearing up? In the yard or down the road? How about when you ride with someone else along? It does sound like he is very barn sour/herd bound. I had a similiar problem with my gelding. Id try to take him on a short trail down the road from my house. Hed start rearing, and prancing sideways, backing up into whatever was there. Very scarey. What I did, was - when he reared, spur him forward, lean forward. When he started prancing and dancing and backing up, Id make him go in circles with me on him a few times. Then wed go forward. If he started his stuff, again, in circles, and again, and so on. Or, Id get off and lunge him in both directions. He WAS NOT going back to his buddies at the barn. He is over his crap now, but it took alot of time and patience. If possible, separete the colt and filly, as far away as possible. When done riding, do not put him near her, tie him up out of sight. Hopefully, you can be stronger then him, and teach him you are boss, and you will not tolerate this behavior.

How do I get my 3yr. old gelding
> Thanks

> Thanks Look to see if he has wolf teeth they be in front of the first molor, they will be small so you might have to feel for them,if he has them they need to be pulled. They will be on top only. If thats not the problem, and you can, when he rears up slide out of the saddle, holding on to the reins and yank him backwards it will only take a couple times and he'll quit. This is dangerous, and rough on the saddle.

[email protected]

Latest posts