Problems with the rub off patch

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I used the newer "rub off" (scratch off) heat detection patch this year, rather then the K-Mar tht I have used in the pass. The sales pitch was that the idea of the rub off was fewer false readings due to tree limbs and ect.

Well while they where much cleaner to put on, everyone turned red in two to three days (not even close to being due to coming into heat). So I sat and watched, they are hitting the patches with there tails swatting flies. Everyone is bright red because of tail action. I guess unless I get a good suggestion it's back to K-mars and pastures without trees.

Just a rant,
Alan

I guess unless I get a good suggestion it's back to K-mars and pastures without trees.

That was my experience with them as well, I think the brand name was Estrotect. Farming in redwater and gallsickness country where cattle are dipped very regularly in summer the scratchcard type heat detectors just didn't stick like the K-Mars. I actually use the slightly cheaper Aussie immitation called Bulling Beacon.

When we move into fly season I start to place the patches further back on the tail head. They work best when I can keep them midway between the hooks and the tailhead but as you suggested the tail catches them. It is my experience that moving them back as far as possible keeps them out of range of the tail. You may still get a few scratches but should be able to tell the difference between one in heat that would be completely gone and others that have been bumping them here and there. This is probably obvious but keeping the cows sprayed for flies helps a lot.

Estrus Alert patches are the way to go been using them for years -- nothing new about them............
although any patch is just an aid -- nothing beats a little time in the field-- observing

We had that problem too! However, we give the tail a very close haircut and helped the problem a great deal. I just find the end of the tail bone and snip the hair off just below there. Makes the cows look better anyway. You will still have some scratches but it seems to work better for us. Besides, I hate to see a good cow with a long scraggley tail dragging behind her. We trim tail hair twice per year at deworming time. Make sure you have big, sharp scissors.

Chi-man":1m7opv06 said:
We had that problem too! However, we give the tail a very close haircut and helped the problem a great deal. I just find the end of the tail bone and snip the hair off just below there. Makes the cows look better anyway. You will still have some scratches but it seems to work better for us. Besides, I hate to see a good cow with a long scraggley tail dragging behind her. We trim tail hair twice per year at deworming time. Make sure you have big, sharp scissors.

That's what I do too.

Latest posts