Problems with Cervix and breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

bovineguy

Reaction score
I have a cow and heifer that were coming in heat regular. I had them Artificially Inseminated three times with no luck and then let them run with a bull for 3 months. Have not seen any signs of heat for months and bull was pulled out 4 months ago. I assumed they were bred, but found out today they are open. The guy who does the preg check said that they both have an unusual cervix. He states that it is flat and hard about the size of the palm of his hand. Pancake like in shape and like nothing he has ever encountered after 1000's of cows. He says they probably will not breed and that this is also the reason I am not seeing them come in heat.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? or what could be cause? I am a little baffled because everything was preceding normally with their heat cycles and then suddenly stopped after AI attempts and introduction of bull. Other cows all bred successfully with AI or clean up bull.

Thanks for any help or advice!!!

bovineguy":17b1ky00 said:
I have a cow and heifer that were coming in heat regular. I had them Artificially Inseminated three times with no luck and then let them run with a bull for 3 months. Have not seen any signs of heat for months and bull was pulled out 4 months ago. I assumed they were bred, but found out today they are open. The guy who does the preg check said that they both have an unusual cervix. He states that it is flat and hard about the size of the palm of his hand. Pancake like in shape and like nothing he has ever encountered after 1000's of cows. He says they probably will not breed and that this is also the reason I am not seeing them come in heat.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? or what could be cause? I am a little baffled because everything was preceding normally with their heat cycles and then suddenly stopped after AI attempts and introduction of bull. Other cows all bred successfully with AI or clean up bull.

Thanks for any help or advice!!!

I do know there is variation in the cervix. I wonder why the person/persons who AIed them the first three times did not comment on the unusual nature of their cervix?

I once palpated a cow with something which felt a bit like a paperback book inside her. It turned out to be a mummified fetus. Bearing in mind your inseminating technician didn't comment and that the cows haven't been cycling, maybe they have been pregnant and now they're both carrying what's left. If you're blood testing, check for Neospora.

They both came from the same farm, but I can not confirm if they are related. I had a similar thought. Also, the cow did have a calf last year. She carried it full term, but was born dead. The calf had what I thought was an unusual umbilical cord. It was like there were several cords and they were very thick and grey/white colored. They looked scrunched up more like intestines. I grafted a calf on the cow and kept her and now wonder if this is a related incident. I also obviously wonder if it is more than coincidence that both animals that have this problem came from the same farm (which sold off all there cattle).

Maybe he was talking about the shape of the ovaries rather than the cervix. The cervix plays no role in the estrus cycle. It is just a muscle, not an organ that produces hormones. If the ovaries are flat and have no structures present (e.g. follicles, CL's, etc), that is a good indication that the females are not cycling.

Some additional thoughts about non-cycling... What body condition are they in? If under BCS 5, that could be the problem. What has the weather been like? Could the summer heat be the problem? My first thought would be to sell them. But if you like them and want to make the effort, you could try a synchronization protocol. GnRH + CIDR on Day 0; PG + pull CIDR on day 7; expect heat 48-72 hrs later; GnRH at breeding.

The GnRH should help if they are cystic. Sometimes the Progesterone in the CIDR can stimulate non-cycling animals.

They are in good body condition. The summer here in Missouri has been cooler than normal. Other cows that had spring calves are cycling and I am breeding them back currently.

My thought is that if they have not bred after AI attempts and bull exposure I will sell off. I was just concerned as to what may have caused two healthy looking animals to get this condition and if it is a problem that could affect rest of cows. I wonder if something could have happened in AI process (i.e. injury during procedure or transfer of disease from equipment or semen). I still think it is weird that they were both cycling fine and the AI reportedly went smoothly and both "bred easily" and now they are not cycling and have an unusual feeling cervix.

Well it may just be another mystery with no answer, but thought I would at survey some producers with more experience to see it there may be an answer.

The calf with the 'unusual navel cord' probably did have prolapsed intestines - I've seen two or three like that to date, so it's not common but it does happen.

As for the cervix it sounds weird and I've no answer.

I was thinking about this.
Is there anyway that you could haul the cows to your vet and have him take a peek inside using a speculum?
Actually seeing the cervix may be very helpful.

Actually, I think that may be a great idea that I had not considered. I may still have to sell them off, but maybe I would at least have an answer to what is going on. At this point it would probably be worth the extra cost and time just to know. I will let you know if find something out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Latest posts