Problems with Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi! Even though we raise Registered Texas Longhorns in Texas, and not up on Angus....you can contact the American Angus Association...am sure they have a website since Angus are a highly promoted breed in USA. Good luck with your report.

I did not find your previous post below. Please restate your challenges with angus?

pat

> Please post me a message if you
> know anything about my earlier
> message.

I would like to know of any and all problems with angus cattle may it be they are not as insect tolerant as the Brahman Breed.

thanks for any info.

[email protected]

The term "problem" is relative. A tolerance or intolerance of something is only a problem if it is something that affects the area the animal is in. A black hide may be undesirable on the equator with no shade, but in most environemtns where cattle are raised it isn't a problem. Sounds like you already have a plan of what you want to say, now you're just looking for things to back it up.

dun

> I would like to know of any and
> all problems with angus cattle may
> it be they are not as insect
> tolerant as the Brahman Breed.

> thanks for any info.

I agree that the American Angus Association (AAA) will have lots of good information, but remember their job is to promote the sale of Angus cattle not to tell you whats wrong with them.

The biggest fault I have with the AAA is that they tend to promote that their cattle can be almost all things to almost all people. For example, they promote the use of purebred Angus bulls on purebred Angus cows, even in commercial operations. They seem to ignore all the research on crossbreeding that highlights hybrid vigor, increased cow efficiency, etc. The AAA does more promotion of maintaining purebred cattle in commercial operations than any other breed I can think of. It is kinda nice to see many breed associations (including Gelbvieh, Limousin, Simmental, Hereford,Red Angus,...) actually promoting the fact that commercial producers should do selective crossbreeding to improve their bottom lines.

I think Angus cattle (both reds and blacks)do a lot of things right. But they have some shortcomings, including

-The majority of purebred Angus carcasses are too fat and don't yield enough for most packers

-Angus cattle in general have a poorer disposition than the average Hereford, Shorthorn, Gelbvieh, Simmental, and several other breeds.

Just some of my thoughts. Good luck.

Latest posts