Problem with utters

Help Support CattleToday:

jarhead

Reaction score
One of my cows had a calf 4 days ago she has large utters I saw that the calf was not feeding caught her up and tried to milk could not get milk used milk needle gat about 8 pints let the calf try again without much luck have repeated three days now even after draining some milk I cannot milk by hand any out ANY IDEAS

She a mature cow or a first-timer? Sounds like she is holding back her milk, although all kinds of screwy things can happen when that goes on.

Keep using a milk needle and drain out 1/2 of each quarter and bottle feed the calf (although leave the calf with her at all times, in case he wants to try himself). Keep the udder and teats clean, wash with rag in warm water and little bit of bleach. Keep bedding clean.

If you can't get it sucking on it's own after a couple weeks (meaning she won't let her milk down), ship the cow, and get a bag of milk replacer for the calf. :cowboy:

Thanks for the informatino much appreciated I am new at this and learning fast. The cow is about a 8 year old.
Aaron":kqoxlyba said:
She a mature cow or a first-timer? Sounds like she is holding back her milk, although all kinds of screwy things can happen when that goes on.

Keep using a milk needle and drain out 1/2 of each quarter and bottle feed the calf (although leave the calf with her at all times, in case he wants to try himself). Keep the udder and teats clean, wash with rag in warm water and little bit of bleach. Keep bedding clean.

If you can't get it sucking on it's own after a couple weeks (meaning she won't let her milk down), ship the cow, and get a bag of milk replacer for the calf. :cowboy:

Keren":2qdrf0mv said:
I'm not sure on this but doesnt oxytocin stimulate let down? Maybe a shot of this would be worth a try?

Yes, Oxytosin does stimulate let-down but the cows can/will get dependant on it if you're not careful and use it too often. I've used it on a few heifers that chose to rodeo the milk barn up, but prefer to just let nature take it's course. If you're feeding her right, and getting a little out each day, more than likely she'll give in and let down for you.

8 years old and not letting her milk down-that doesn't seem likely to me. Is the milk clumpy, the quarters hard or hot? Do the teat canals feel like they have scar tissue or obstrcuted in any way? i would look into that first-

GMN

She has one udder and 4 teats (4 quarters, one for each teat).