Problem with udder

Help Support CattleToday:

arkcowman

Reaction score
One of my nursing cows (black angus) has a condition where one of her teats on her udder is large and swollen being twice as large as the others (I cannot remember the term for this condition).

Is this a serious condition ? Do I need to take action.
She is nursing a three week old calf that appears to be developing fine.

since her teat is swelled up.it sounds like she has mastitis in that teat.id get her up an milk that teat out.if it is mastitis it should have flakes or clumps in the milk.

It could be mastitis or it could just be a balloon tit. Beef breeds don't usually develop mastitis like Dairy breeds do because of the lower milk production, but it might be worth checking out just to be safe.

Thanks for the info. Mastitis was the term I was looking for.
I was wanting to make certain the cow would let the calf nurse on the other teats. I haven't been able to view the calf nursing recently but the calf seems to be up and moving well with the others.

arkcowman":85czn207 said:
Thanks for the info. Mastitis was the term I was looking for.
I was wanting to make certain the cow would let the calf nurse on the other teats. I haven't been able to view the calf nursing recently but the calf seems to be up and moving well with the others.

Is this a young calf? It isn't uncommon for a newborn calf to only suck one, two or three teats and leave the others alone. Once he gets older he will get onto the others.

Old Boss Cow has one "coke bottle" on her udder...once her calves are big enough to latch on to it they nurse it along with the other three. Usually takes a couple of weeks.
Try milking the bottle and see what you get.
just my two bits worth...DMc

Don't know anything about beef breeds, but with acute mastitis dairy breeds will run a temp along with abnormal looking milk. Dairy cattle we administer IMM treatment along with IM Banamine and Polyflex.

Latest posts