problem with parasites

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
I'm having a helluva time with parasites this winter. ive been saying that the ivomec pour-on just doesnt seem to be working like it used to for a while now. there have been some calves and cows get pretty good bottle jaws on them. ive blasted them with some valbazen but that doesnt even seem to be working very much (maybe a little).

i remember last year someone talking about someone in florida who was having a worm problem that none of the dewormers seemed to be helping and it was infact some sort of parasite the vet found.

does anyone have any ideas?

Had some last year looked wormy but had blood parisite. Gave Corid in water for 5 days. Took about 3 weeks to turn em around but it worked. I know that Corid is for coccidious but what works just plain works.

Take a manure sample to the vet and have it looked at under a microscope. I do believe there can be more than one reason for bottle jaw. Might be a good idea to find out if worms really are the problem before you go blaming it all on them. :lol: :p

i figured it was flukes milkmaid. maybe the valbazen just needs more time to work. i hear fluke signs are hard to spot in the fecal samples. plus my vet doesnt think we have flukes around here, lol.

i tend to think it is a parasite b/c it is effecting random animals of various ages, though yearlings seem to be the worst.

I had been using Ivomec pour on for a few years now but my feed salesman told me of tests that showed that the pour on wasn't getting the results it should, I wormed in fall with safegaurd on top of the feed , I will either do that again in spring or try Ivomec injectable , I not sure yet which one. He said Ivomec is a good product but to inject instead of pouring on.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1atcjwdc said:
Bottle jaw if I am not mistaken is caused by protein deficiency. i.e. worms, johnes, etc can cause it. Had one with bottle jaw pretty bad earlier this year. Hit her with ivomec plus injectable. Bottle jaw was gone about 1 week later.
Same thing here...I had a 1000# steer that was loosing weight, drooling, with bottle jaw. Talked to the vet, tried antibiotics, finally dewormed with ivomec injectable...a couple days later he's back to gaining weight, drooling gone, bottle jaw gone! :D

shorty":1jljpcdi said:
I had been using Ivomec pour on for a few years now but my feed salesman told me of tests that showed that the pour on wasn't getting the results it should, I wormed in fall with safegaurd on top of the feed , I will either do that again in spring or try Ivomec injectable , I not sure yet which one. He said Ivomec is a good product but to inject instead of pouring on.

Have used both pour on and inj. but switched to Cydectin recently. Cost is about the same and it does a good job. Plus it's oil based and not affected by rain. Ft. Dodge makes it.

Safeguard paste knocks out parasites as good as anything I have ever used. If you don't rid yourself of them effectively, your pastures will reek with eggs from now till hot summer weather.

To really stop them, de-worm about 2-3 weeks apart and kill the hatched eggs that were shed while the parasites were in the cow.

I agree with Mike. We use the Safeguard products. Have used the block and the drench. Also, the manufacturer (Intervet) will do a fecal test for you. To learn more go to their web site. Kinda of a pain to collect the samples. We have some calves that were loaded with parasites last summer as a result of the rainy weather we had. It was nice to know why the calves weren't growing as we expected.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

Maybe I'm off my rocker. I thought most folks wormed twice a year. Once injectible, once pour on. I like the pour ons only in the summer to help knock down flies. Other than that the injectible (companies say so) works so much better. There is a generic ivermectin plus available. The drug companies also suggest changing your wormer.

highvoltagecattleco":dv7nybak said:
Maybe I'm off my rocker. I thought most folks wormed twice a year. Once injectible, once pour on. I like the pour ons only in the summer to help knock down flies. Other than that the injectible (companies say so) works so much better. There is a generic ivermectin plus available. The drug companies also suggest changing your wormer.
Lots of talk about parasites developing somewhat of an immunity to Ivermectin thus the need to rotate the type wormer you use....or worm...wait 2 weeks and worm again. We worm everything spring and fall and then any cow that goes thru the chute for any reason always gets wormed again just as a precaution. Cydectin in spring and other times thru the chute and Ivomec Plus inj. in the fall.

Latest posts