PROBLEM WITH CALF

Help Support CattleToday:

Pace

Reaction score
At 3 weeks old calf develpoed a cough and labored breathing. Had Vet out, we gave him Draxxin. Calf is now almost 6 weeks old cough and labored breathing have cleared up but it is still lethargic. He eats good but lays around a lot with his ears drooping and has a slight temp just on high side of normal. Talked to vet he suggested 5 days of penicillin for maybe a secondary infection. We did that no change. All his systems are functioning normal. This calf was very active and athletic. Any suggestions ?

Sounds like you've reduced the severity of the respiratory infection - but haven't eliminated it yet. I'd put him back on antibiotics, probably do a 3-day treatment and see how he looks. My personal favorite is Baytril, second choice Nuflor.

I don't know anything about baby calves..............

With my older calves I would concider a Mycoplasma problem(going just on-----2nd relapse(I'm assuming the temp dropped while on Penn) but eating.

Problem with Mycoplasmas is that it has no cell wall(what is destroyed in most other bacterias) so it takes a very long course of meds to whip it out 7-10 days according to reasearch papers(my experience leans towards the ten days before I have no fever relapses).
Since it takes so much medicine- we treat it with the cheapest we can. Tetracyclines-spectinomycins, high doses of Penn(I wouldn't suggest Penn unless you have just now stopped with the 5 days the vet reccomended).

I wouldn't overdue the antibiotics, 3 week old calf, could cause kidney damage. That is already some heavy duty drugs it has had. Maybe a vitamin supplement in the milk, Enterolyte HE, a shot of Vit B, I would surely try this before more drugs.

Gail

GMN":3dqz2ccy said:
I wouldn't overdue the antibiotics, 3 week old calf, could cause kidney damage. That is already some heavy duty drugs it has had. Maybe a vitamin supplement in the milk, Enterolyte HE, a shot of Vit B, I would surely try this before more drugs.

Gail

I agree. I am a bit leary of pumping to many drugs in such a small calf. I have had good luck with a similar treatment as stated above. An oral vit. paste several days in a row, Electrolytes in the water source and defonitly a shot of vit. B. Usually works very well to perk them up. If that doesn't do it them I do meds.
I have found that usually I don't have to.

Best of luck,
Let us know how it goes.
Double R

We have had mixed results with the Draxxin...on occasions we have followed up with an additional shot 3 days later. One of the old-timers around here told us he always starts with the "good stuff" first and works his way down to the "cheap stuff" to find the right meds. Everywhere we ask, one thing seems consistent, everyone has a favorite med!

I personally belive in the vitamins to assist recovery. We use A,D, and E, and B Complex. Banamine for sure. And if they get antibiotics, they get probios without reservation.

We read somewhere that 1cc of pennicillin works well as a booster for Nuflor. Also have read that the biggest mistake people make is not following through with enough antibiotics, so we always document the meds and try to follow through with a series, instead of just one and done.

The most frustrating part...what works extremely well for one calf has absolutely no affect for the next :(

Good luck and keep us posted.

Van

I tell you what...with the price of Draxxin i'd sure try something else first...we rarely ever use Draxxin because it is so expensive...try something like Agrimycin 200 first...see if that will work...if not...then maybe you should try another shot of Draxxin

Had the Vet back out. He wanted to give him another shot of Draxxin and some vitamin shots. We did that. The calf isn't going to make it. He has coughing and snotting big time. Not eating much. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Latest posts