Problem Plants

Help Support CattleToday:

What part of the Country are you in?

There are many plants that can cause reproductive Toxicity, loss of pregnancy, they do not normaly cause a cow to dry up, that sounds more like poor body condition due to poor nutrition. I would look at what their diet is and the availablity a good quality minerals, (loose mineral), not the salt blocks you get at the local feed store. It is easier to identify the plants to the location, but I do not think Onion type plants cuase any trouble, we are in central Texas, and there are wild garlic, onions etc. and they dont seem to have much effect on the cattle or horses, though they really don't eat them either, if yours are eating them, they need something in their diet.

[email protected]

My cows feast on wild onions in the spring. Not sure why but they will knock you over with onion breath! Calves seem to always do alright. When I was a kid, I could always tell when the wild onions were up by the taste of the milk - it was onion flavored. Never knew it to affect the quantity but sure affected the taste!

[email protected]

I can tell (it seems anyway) which of my cows like to eat the onions, they don't seem to have near the flies the rest of them do... any one else notice this?

Roy
> My cows feast on wild onions in
> the spring. Not sure why but they
> will knock you over with onion
> breath! Calves seem to always do
> alright. When I was a kid, I could
> always tell when the wild onions
> were up by the taste of the milk -
> it was onion flavored. Never knew
> it to affect the quantity but sure
> affected the taste!

Latest posts