Problem Nursing on one side

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi,

My cow is nursing a calf fine on one side but on the otherside she is very swollen and the calf seems to not be nursing from that side.What can be causing the swollening?

Kim

[email protected]

Frequently a young calf that doesn;t need the milk only will nurse from one side until it starts needing more. If the cow won't let her nurse it could be mastitis or just edema from freshening. If you can catch her, milk a little ourt of the affected quarters, see if it's stringy or pink, that's mastitis. If it's yellow and thinc and sticky it's colosurem, if it looks like milk, it's milk and the calf is getting enough elsewhere. You can relieve the pressure a little by milking a little out of each quarter

dunmovin farms

> Hi,

> My cow is nursing a calf fine on
> one side but on the otherside she
> is very swollen and the calf seems
> to not be nursing from that
> side.What can be causing the
> swollening?

> Kim

> Frequently a young calf that
> doesn't need the milk only will
> nurse from one side until it
> starts needing more. If the cow
> won't let her nurse it could be
> mastitis or just edema from
> freshening. If you can catch her,
> milk a little court of the affected
> quarters, see if it's stringy or
> pink, that's mastitis. If it's
> yellow and thick and sticky it's
> colosurem, if it looks like milk,
> it's milk and the calf is getting
> enough elsewhere. You can relieve
> the pressure a little by milking a
> little out of each quarter

> dunmovin farm

I am not able to catch her. We are only there once a month.This cow has had two calves and never had a problem.This calf was born in July. The mother seems okay and the calve seems healthy. Will the swelling go away or should we seek a vet?

[email protected]

The edema should be gone by now and the calf should be nursing from it. Are you sure she isn't being nursed? As to calling the vet, that's a coin toss, I tend to be paranoid so I would call him/her just to put my mind at ease. We tend to think of our vet as almost a partner in the health of our herd. First I would get my hands on her, you'll have to do that for the vet anyway, and see what you can figure out, then go from there

dunmovin farms

> I am not able to catch her. We are
> only there once a month.This cow
> has had two calves and never had a
> problem.This calf was born in
> July. The mother seems okay and
> the calve seems healthy. Will the
> swelling go away or should we seek
> a vet?

Latest posts