Problem Mother

Help Support CattleToday:

YoungBlood

Reaction score
It is me again, still trying to get this situation down. My calf is doing great as far as health issues go, there are otehr issues however that are starting to crop up that bother me. The biggest problem that I am seeing is that she will not go near the pins still, I know she isn't that old yet but she is grazing now, and the mother cow has put the fear of god into her about the pins. Everytime she gets near them she is run of by the cow and she is taken about 100 yards away from the pins. THe motehr is not a bad mother and takes good care of her calf but has proven to be over protective. When we bring our cattle in we hold them in the pins for a short stay, of about a week, week and a half. My hiefer however has not had that benifit and she does not stay in the pins when we feed. Any sugestions to get her used to the idea of the pin or am I expecting too much too soon for a young calf.

I have probably said to much, so here is a short nd to the point version maybe that will help. Mom is a fart and probably wont be around much longer, is there anything I can do to eliminate moms bad teachings to the calf once she has been culled out.

Again she is a good mom just over protective I cannot get her to go wher she needs to go, to our opperations it relies heavily that the cows go into the pins with little or no motivation from us.

Hopefully this wil clear some things up, any advise is needed.

Thanks

For what it's worth, after the cow has departed, the calf will, hopefully, buddy up with the other calves. When they come in she should start coming up too. But, that's not foolproof. Even if she does come up she may go nuts when closed in, moms influence, or she may just hang around the outside and not go in at all, again, moms influence. If the problems persist with the calf after the cow has gone, ship the calf.

dun

YoungBlood":1tzywvzg said:
I have probably said to much, so here is a short nd to the point version maybe that will help. Mom is a fart and probably wont be around much longer, is there anything I can do to eliminate moms bad teachings to the calf once she has been culled out.

Again she is a good mom just over protective I cannot get her to go wher she needs to go, to our opperations it relies heavily that the cows go into the pins with little or no motivation from us.

Hopefully this wil clear some things up, any advise is needed.

Thanks

Every one pens one way or the other I will not tolerate a cow or calf that does not pen, hello Jack in the Box. Even if it means getting roped and drug in, but your going in.

These are all the things that I have thought, and was afraid of. I suppose I am in with the big boys now and I should leave all sentimental value behind. So here is the next question, is it worth my time to wait on her to reach a size that I can turn two or possibly three ne calves for the one or should I eliminate this problem as soon as possible?

YoungBlood":16atje3y said:
These are all the things that I have thought, and was afraid of. I suppose I am in with the big boys now and I should leave all sentimental value behind. So here is the next question, is it worth my time to wait on her to reach a size that I can turn two or possibly three ne calves for the one or should I eliminate this problem as soon as possible?
Cut your losses short. Let your profits ride.

YoungBlood":13zn7zsb said:

When we get a problem animal like the one you mention we just watch for one chance to catch her. The first time she caught she stays in the corral until sale day, we have 3 salebarns in the area and take her to which ever one is open first. They will teach other animals to be wary / hard to catch. A few words of caution, some of our older cows are used to the catch pen ( worming, vac., culling, weaning calves, etc ) and stay calm, walking in, and then out as we work the cows. But they seem to have a 6th. sense about when it's their time to go, you turn them back at the gate a time or two and they get upset / wild and in a panic to get out and can hurt you trying to get out.

;-)

Just a thought. Might work in your situation. Try pulling all the salt from the pasture and only have it available in the pens. When she gets salt hungry, she will go in there to get a lick.

Take care.

Latest posts