problem foot

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was trying to find information on a problem I have with the foot on one of my young Brangus cows and found this site. Please help!! She has a "growth/infection" on one of her fore feet. It started as a quarter size blood-blister looking spot but has now grown to cover almonst 1/2 her foot and is creeping up her leg just above the foot. My vet has tried antibiotics and cutting away th tissue and cauterizing it but the thing keeps growing. She has a calf and has been on a fescue/brome hay pasture, plenty of water, minerals, etc. She came off dry winter lot.

[email protected]

Just a guess, but endophyte infected fescue can interfere with the circulation of blood, especially in extremities. The blood vessels constrict and any number of things can happen, including gangrene.

> I was trying to find information
> on a problem I have with the foot
> on one of my young Brangus cows
> and found this site. Please help!!
> She has a
> "growth/infection" on
> one of her fore feet. It started
> as a quarter size blood-blister
> looking spot but has now grown to
> cover almonst 1/2 her foot and is
> creeping up her leg just above the
> foot. My vet has tried antibiotics
> and cutting away th tissue and
> cauterizing it but the thing keeps
> growing. She has a calf and has
> been on a fescue/brome hay
> pasture, plenty of water,
> minerals, etc. She came off dry
> winter lot.

I live in harney county in eastern oregon and some people here were feeding there cattle strait fescue hay and the cattle got a toxic fungus and it killed over 600 cattle. the fungus cuts off the blood supply and then there feet rot off. it was a bad. and sad. that might be the problem. but i don't no.

[email protected]

The condition you describe is called "Fescue foot". It can also make them loose their tail. Most KY-31 fescue is infected with an endophyte that causes the problem. The problem can be almost completely controlled by diluting the fescue with some other feed. The cattle actually will be build up an immunity to it and it isn't as bad. Some cattle aren't noticebly affected. When the term fescue intolerent is used it is actually the endophyte within the fescue that they are intolerent to.

dunmovin farms

> I live in harney county in eastern
> oregon and some people here were
> feeding there cattle strait fescue
> hay and the cattle got a toxic
> fungus and it killed over 600
> cattle. the fungus cuts off the
> blood supply and then there feet
> rot off. it was a bad. and sad.
> that might be the problem. but i
> don't no.

Latest posts