Problem during winter (Hereford vs. Angus)!

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you have more problems calving during the winter?

• Yeah

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope

• It's 'bout the same!

• Never noticed!

• Don't calve in the winter time.

• Total voters
CowCop":3huho3qk said:
< The "mane" referred to is actually a "featherneck," a strip of white hair down the back of the neck. You will see it by looking no further than Campground's avatar. >

Thank you so much for that direction, I would of searched for weeks.....
Glad I asked.
The Herefords at the farm, where my cattle are, have the stripe and a few have good eye patches/pigment as good as my Simms.

Just saw the classic John Wayne movie last week about the first Hereford bull brought to the US. GREAT movie. ( forget the name of it )
Unfortunately, Vindicator didnt do well in a Texas snowstorm...which is similar to all the "snow flurries" we have here in Vermont.

CowCop

Herefords survived better than almost any other breed in those conditions in the real world, the old-timers tell me. Something about a combination of the way they reacted to blizzard conditions, and the fact that they have a very heavy hide. Vindicator is the name of a real bull who was very popular in the early to mid eighties. He was the son of Victorious K47 U81, who was a national champion polled Hereford in the seventies. Jim Reed told me that Vindicator was one of the best bargains in his catalog. He is still respected as the sire of good females.

Taken from Michigan State University Extension
MSU Extension Beef Bulletins

Geographic Region
Hereford cows of comparable genetic makeup were moved
from Miles City, Montana, to Brooksville, Florida, and vice
versa. Ten years after this switch was made, birth weights
in the Montana herd that had been moved to Florida had
declined from 81 to 64 pounds. Conversely, birth weights
in the Florida herd that had been moved to Montana had
increased from 66 to 77 pounds. Other studies have yielded
similar results, indicating that calves of comparable
genotype will be born lighter in the south than in the
north.

Campground Cattle said:

Well again were not comparing apples to apples I wean at six months and haul to the salebarn with 575 to 625 pound calves and on the way to the bank. I consistly beat the Angus at the salebarn here .

Congratulations. Apparently beating Angus is important to you.

Angus are a cure all how funny not every one wants to run knotty cattle.

If you're raising knotty Angus, look to their genetics. I suggested that in my first post and that seemed to get you all riled up. Are you such a good judge of cattle that you've never, ever bought sorry stock of any breed? Gee, I wish I could say the same.

Angus genetics with some Brahman kicked in is a decent cow, now you have something that will grow

They should. Of course, depending on the Brahman influence, you might get docked at the sale barn. And MARC research shows that the more Brahman influence, the more likely the meat will be tough.

You might fool some of these newcomers about these big Angus,
You can fool yourself into thinking that someone didn't slip some Maine in to get the size.
Just like Hereford breeders can fool theirself that manes disappeared and pigment around the eyes apeared overnight without some simm influence.

You have your opinion. However, like most people, you don't have a leg to stand on to prove these claims. Angus and Hereford Associations have tried to keep the breeds pure. Many other breeds encouraged breeding up (cross breeding), but not those two associations. Did someone accidentally or even purposely slip outside blood into Angus and Herefords. I don't know and neither do you. But I do know the Angus Association has always used the latest "technology" available to exclude animals that are not pure. Hip height is one of the more heritable traits. If you wanted to increase the size of your cows, simply breeding big cows to big bulls will do it in a couple of generations.

I don't think Hereford is a cure all for the industry as most Angus producers I have met. The Angus Association has sold a line of BS to the American public with a good PR program, hats off there to them.
P.T. Barnum is alive and well.

LOL! IMO, you're insulting a lot of intelligent cattlemen with this statement.

The difference in you and I ,is I look at cattle realistically and not at hair color.

No, I'm looking for cattle that will perform. Many years ago we chose an Angus bull to use on commercial, mostly crossbred heifers. We chose Angus because they had EPDs; no other breed offered them at the time. In fact, few Angus breeders in my area had Angus with EPDs. Every heifer calved unassisted. (One Hereford heifer didn't raise her calf, but that's another story.) We were greatly impressed and decided we'd buy an Angus cow or two to raise our own bulls. LOL! We soon found out that wasn't as simple as it looked.

Now if you like Angus run them I don't believe there are bad cattle, but not all breeds produce the same in different enviroments. If Angus did well here every pasture would be full of them.

Around here, pastures are full of black cattle. I do see more red Limousin than I've seen in a few years, but many of the local breeders who bought their Limousin bulls from Express are now buying Angus bulls from Express.

Can't hardly find Angus in this country…

You live in East Texas, I don't. But we attend some sales down there every year. The East Texas Angus and ALOT Associations are doing very well. The ALOT November bull sale averaged $1900. That's pretty good for a consignment sale. They sold $3-4,000 bulls at the last bull sale I attended. Those two groups support four or five Angus bull sales a year. The East Texas group used to have a spring "Big Bred Heifer Sale." There were some well-bred heifers sold there. And demand for Angus cattle in Louisiana and Arkansas has grown tremendously in the last few years. I know that several herds between here and Mt. Pleasant have turned black since we started making that trip.

…again the majority of producers in East Texas have got it wrong with Bragnus/ Hereford/Limm or Brahman influence leading the sales at the barn.

I wouldn't try to discourage anyone from running crossbred cattle, adapted for their environment. But sometimes people should step back and ask if they really need so much Brahman influence in a particular environment. Or are they running those type cattle because their daddy and grand daddy did? Or what kind of consistency am I getting from a three, four way cross cow? A good Angus bull on those kind of cattle should get you a calf that grows well and will be acceptable at the sale barn, feedlot, and packing house. As I said, I don't live in East Texas. But I do know several Angus breeders there and they are very pleased with the increasing demand for Angus bulls and commercial Angus cows. In fact, at the last ALOT bull sale I attended, several people told me they had sold their weaned Angus bull calves for $1,000. As they stood there and watched bulls selling for 2-3 times that, some of them were wishing they had held on to their bulls for the sale.

Frankie opinions are just like a holes everybody has got one and they all stink. If you believe that no one has slipped something into the breeds you are very naive.
Angus has turned into the Preachers breed as most Angus producers are just preaching how great they are. Thank God we all don't think the same about the hateful breed. I like Herefords/Brahmans/Brangus but I am not trying to cram them down your throat like Angus breeders. I have consistently said find the breed you like and run them, there are not bad cattle just bad management. My management style and Angus don't go together I admit it.
To have a home at my place a cow
First must produce a calf every 12 months with no assistance
Must be able to maintain and grow the calf off on grass only
I don't run a petting zoo only cattle that can produce with the lowest cost and the highest weaning weights stay.
Currently that list is Hereford and Brangus. I do have British Whites and the Jury is still out if they do no better than the Angus I have owned they are sale barn bound.

Frankie wrote
"Congratulations. Apparently beating Angus is important to you. "

Beating Angus isn't important to me making money is I sell by the pound and Angus ain't got it IMO.
I have a very satisfied customer base off my registered stock that members off this board have purchased, I sure you have the same.
You have your opinon and I mine, if I couldn't run anything but Angus I would go to raising goats thats how much I dislike the breed. That doesn't mean I can't still appreciate a good lookin Angus just don't want anymore in my pasture.

Have a Great Day Frankie I hope you continue to enjoy your Angus.

Campground Cattle":1dt624pe said:
Frankie opinions are just like a holes everybody has got one and they all stink.

Some stink more than others.

If you believe that no one has slipped something into the breeds you are very naive.

Show me the proof, Campground Cattle. Talk's cheap. Show me the proof that Angus and Herefords have had something 'slipped' into the breed.

Angus has turned into the Preachers breed as most Angus producers are just preaching how great they are. Thank God we all don't think the same about the hateful breed.

As an Angus breeder, I'm proud of how the breed has improved and I don't mind defending them when they're wrongly described as you have done. Even though I'm small potatoes, I like to think I've helped with that improvement. I know that I've spent a lot of time explaining EPDs to those who didn't understand them.

I like Herefords/Brahmans/Brangus but I am not trying to cram them down your throat like Angus breeders.

No, but you are quick to insult Angus by suggesting they are all "knotty." When I pointed out that you might have bought some bad genetics, you went off, insulting Angus even more. You didn't answer the question: Have you ever bought sorry cattle of any other breed than Angus?

I have consistently said find the breed you like and run them, there are not bad cattle just bad management. My management style and Angus don't go together I admit it.

You say that now. I guess I must have missed it when you were knocking those "knotty" Angus.

To have a home at my place a cow
First must produce a calf every 12 months with no assistance
Must be able to maintain and grow the calf off on grass only
I don't run a petting zoo only cattle that can produce with the lowest cost and the highest weaning weights stay.
Currently that list is Hereford and Brangus. I do have British Whites and the Jury is still out if they do no better than the Angus I have owned they are sale barn bound.

I don't run a petting zoo either. Generally, I try not to knock other breeds; but I do get my panties in a wad when someone knocks Angus, as you have been doing.

Frankie wrote
"Congratulations. Apparently beating Angus is important to you. "

Beating Angus isn't important to me making money is I sell by the pound and Angus ain't got it IMO.

But beating up Angus is fun and you don't mind taking a shot now and then. My registered Angus calves weaning weights are comparable with the commercial calves in this area. Better than some. Good black calves outsell everything else at my local sale barns. Sorry black calves usually outsell other sorry calves.

I have a very satisfied customer base off my registered stock that members off this board have purchased, I sure you have the same.
You have your opinon and I mine, if I couldn't run anything but Angus I would go to raising goats thats how much I dislike the breed. That doesn't mean I can't still appreciate a good lookin Angus just don't want anymore in my pasture.

It's good to see you admit just not liking Angus. It shows that your comments about them are from a biased source. Interesting that many negative comments about Angus come from people who just don't like the breed for whatever reason. And that's fine. There are certainly breeds that I don't like.

Have a Great Day Frankie I hope you continue to enjoy your Angus.

Thank you. I will.

Howdy,
Well thank ya'll for all your help I reckon we will just start over with a different bull b/c we lost 2 more in the past three days. Cows are in good shape, they have a warm place to go and are taken care of in every possible manner. We've never had this happen before. When we bought the bull he had a runny nose that wouldn't quit and has finally stopped (he is now a lil' over 2 yrs old). So I think we are just going to sell the bull. And the other Hereford bull we put him in their last spring so should get some feb. calves.
Ellie May

Show me the proof, Campground Cattle. Talk's cheap. Show me the proof that Angus and Herefords have had something 'slipped' into the breed.

CC
Lowlines are not dwarves; in fact it is difficult to distinguish them from standard size Angus Cattle.

CC
Frankie kotty to me might not be to you

No, but you are quick to insult Angus by suggesting they are all "knotty." When I pointed out that you might have bought some bad genetics, you went off, insulting Angus even more. You didn't answer the question: Have you ever bought sorry cattle of any other breed than Angus?

CC
To tell the truth the only bad cattle I have ever owned have been Angus

CC It has been quite fun to see how riled you have become over them little Angus.

I don't run a petting zoo either. Generally, I try not to knock other breeds; but I do get my panties in a wad when someone knocks Angus, as you have been doing.

CC
I am glad your sale barn buys by hair color its about quality here and the best calf wins

But beating up Angus is fun and you don't mind taking a shot now and then. My registered Angus calves weaning weights are comparable with the commercial calves in this area. Better than some. Good black calves outsell everything else at my local sale barns. Sorry black calves usually outsell other sorry calves.

Have a great Day

Campground Cattle":z98otug6 said:

CC
Lowlines are not dwarves; in fact it is difficult to distinguish them from standard size Angus Cattle.

Let's be clear here: according to your theory those Frame Score 4&5 bulls that Kit Pharo is selling in CO are pure Angus, but the Angus bull Satisfaction in TX, a 6.5 or 7 FS, must be part Maine? That seems to be where your theory is leading.

CC
Frankie kotty to me might not be to you

Mmm. No, I think a "kotty" cow is a "kotty" cow or maybe a "knotty" cow.

CC
To tell the truth the only bad cattle I have ever owned have been Angus

Congratulations. I've had sorry Hereford heifers that wouldn't raise their own calf, sorry Limousin heifers that counldn't have their calf, and sorry Brahman heifers that didn't breed until they were two years old. You must be an especially astute cattleman. :roll:

CC It has been quite fun to see how riled you have become over them little Angus.

"little" Angus. I thought you were claiming Angus had Maine blood in them to get so big.

CC
I am glad your sale barn buys by hair color its about quality here and the best calf wins

There's a market for every calf that runs through the sale ring. The difference is in what the buyers are willing to pay. Around here, black calves seem to be more valuable. The Angus Association has been running a study for several years, nationwide, tracking the premiums on Angus calves. The Angus premium is not a myth, there are documented reports from sale barns across the country (from the sale barn managers/owners) proving that. If you want, I'll see if I can find the latest report online. And while I'm at it, I can look for the Oklahoma State report on the discounts Hereford calves take in the SE part of Oklahoma. Let me know if you want to see both reports.

Frankie":j8xiihan said:
Let's be clear here: according to your theory those Frame Score 4&5 bulls that Kit Pharo is selling in CO are pure Angus, but the Angus bull RAB-GAR Satisfaction in TX, a 6.5 or 7 FS, must be part Maine? That seems to be where your theory is leading.
CC
Them knotty calves didn't get big by all by their lonsome.............
Congratulations. I've had sorry Hereford heifers that wouldn't raise their own calf, sorry Limousin heifers that counldn't have their calf, and sorry Brahman heifers that didn't breed until they were two years old. You must be an especially astute cattleman. :roll:
CC
Maybe your not as astute blinded by the AAA P.T. Barnum preaching

There's a market for every calf that runs through the sale ring. The difference is in what the buyers are willing to pay. Around here, black calves seem to be more valuable. The Angus Association has been running a study for several years, nationwide, tracking the premiums on Angus calves. The Angus premium is not a myth, there are documented reports from sale barns across the country (from the sale barn managers/owners) proving that. If you want, I'll see if I can find the latest report online. And while I'm at it, I can look for the Oklahoma State report on the discounts Hereford calves take in the SE part of Oklahoma. Let me know if you want to see both reports.

CC
I really don't care what they say in S/E Oklahoma I know what sells here and it isn't about color its about quality thats why those knotty little calves dont win at the salebarn.
Nuff Said

Humble Pie":1enu785c said:
Ellie May":1enu785c said:
Howdy,
Well thank ya'll for all your help I reckon we will just start over with a different bull b/c we lost 2 more in the past three days. Cows are in good shape, they have a warm place to go and are taken care of in every possible manner. We've never had this happen before. When we bought the bull he had a runny nose that wouldn't quit and has finally stopped (he is now a lil' over 2 yrs old). So I think we are just going to sell the bull. And the other Hereford bull we put him in their last spring so should get some feb. calves.
Ellie May

Is it just me or does the Ellie May Livestock Sanctuary experience a heck of a lot more problems than everyone else? How do you people make a living like this?

She is honest in an innocent way. No reason to put her down. She always tries to be helpful. That's a good trait in my book, and the way her family makes a living is their business only.

Ellie May wrote:
Howdy,
Ellie May

Is it just me or does the Ellie May Livestock Sanctuary experience a heck of a lot more problems than everyone else? How do you people make a living like this?
Why don't you just leave her alone. She tries to help, and lots of us regard it. If you dont have something useful to say, then say it. If nothing else than just shut it. :stop: :help: :mad: