Problem aiing of course my favorite new heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
I have a new heifer that I bought online last fall. The problem I am having is I cannot pass a rod thru her cervix for what ever reason. I get too the first ring and cannot find a way thru.

I have only a few head of cattle so I do not have a bull, all aiing. I thought it was just me so I called in a much more experienced friend and sure enough same out come. So I let her cycle thru after dumping 3 straws and she came back in naturally, so I tried again same outcome. So I called in a much, much more experienced friend to try. He tried to pass just the rod thru, basically talking me thru what he was feeling, saying her cervix was in a c shaped and he could enter the first ring but would not go any further, her uterin horns felt normal, but he thought the cervix may have scar tissue causing the rod not to pass.

This is a older heifer dob: 3/21/15, Red angus, 100%, what is my next step, I think have a vet out but what can they do except try and pass a rod? any thoughts? and yes sold gaurented breeder. What would you do????

I would see if she would take to natural breeding. Do you know someone who has A bull you can take her to?

True Grit Farms":2ac42ktg said:
Try and trade her for another one. She'll probably take to a bull so the guarantee is of no good to you.

That is what I was thinking. The seller will say the guarantee is for natural service. If I were the seller, I would give the buyer his money back or as you suggest give the buyer an opportunity to trade.

If you can get her bred natural service the first time you might never have a problem AI her again after that

And if you're going to dump a straw anyways it might as well be in/close to the cervix (maybe you did I don't know)

True Grit Farms":3cjykn5u said:
Try and trade her for another one. She'll probably take to a bull so the guarantee is of no good to you.
Trade her to who and for what? another feeder heifer?
Because that's what she appears to be at this point. Probably isn't good enough.

He needs to expose her to a bull for 30 days and then the guarantee can either be enforced or she's a breeder.
I assume the seller has already been informed of the situation.
IF she conceives he at least has the option to sell her as a bred heifer otherwise return her to the seller and the seller
gets the opportunity to prove her a breeder or refund the cash or whatever the terms of the guarantee include.

Son of Butch":21x0ru5b said:
True Grit Farms":21x0ru5b said:
Trade her to who and for what? another feeder heifer?
Because that's what she appears to be at this point. Probably isn't good enough.

He needs to expose her to a bull for 30 days and then the guarantee can either be enforced or she's a breeder.
I assume the seller has already been informed of the situation.
IF she conceives he at least has the option to sell her as a bred heifer otherwise return her to the seller and the seller
gets the opportunity to prove her a breeder or refund the cash or whatever the terms of the guarantee include.

I should of spelled it out, try and trade her back to the breeder with the guarantee for another heifer. Sorry for the confusion.

Do you have access to a university with cattle reproduction program? Many years ago a friend bought a Brahman cow and he could not get her AI'ed until he took her to the University of Florida. A professor there who did embryo work was able to get her bred. If you have anyone who does embryo work EVERY day then they may be able to get her bred. You really need someone with extensive experience AI'ing.

No I have not contacted the breeder. another man in the area might have a bull(red angus), that I could use. I was kinda asking what the next move be.... I think before I contact the seller I am going to have the heifer examined by my cow vet(mainly big animal vet). Then contact breeder the bull owner.

I want too ask the vet a few questions about this situation and do some preg checks.

BryanM":1miha2yl said:
No I have not contacted the breeder. another man in the area might have a bull(red angus), that I could use. I was kinda asking what the next move be.... I think before I contact the seller I am going to have the heifer examined by my cow vet(mainly big animal vet). Then contact breeder the bull owner.

I want too ask the vet a few questions about this situation and do some preg checks.

You got it planned. Good. I like the idea of having solid information before you go back to the seller.

I wondered why she is three years,old and still a heifer?

Ya Bright Raven, I was wondering the same thing. It had her listed as they where giving her more time before breeding her to grow. I'm thinking she was tried, ai and came back open. Not sure! Thanks for the advice, always good for me to get second opinions.

If she was one that I sold, I would ask for her back and try breeding her to one of my bulls (if I had one). I would want to know if you were having problems.
On a side note; we had a cow that we could not get through her cervix. She has always been a challenge to AI, but has had 6 AI calves so far so we know we can stick her. I called our embryologist, who was in the area. He came by and gave her a shot of lidocaine, and she relaxed and we were able to get right through her cervix with NO PROBLEMS. She stuck to that AI breeding. I think sometimes they get tense, and that pulls that cervix down and makes it shaped odd. Maybe try that? It sure makes them a lot easier to get in and get through when they are numb back there...

Fire Sweep thanks for the reply; I am definitely going to bring the lidocaine up with the vet. Truthfully the heifer was not very relaxed, she was bunched up at least alittle more than the others. So you may have something there.

You need to hire someone with lots of experience. I'm talking thousands of head. Any cow that can be bred by a bull can be AI'd. You just have to find someone with enough experience to get it where it needs to be. You're scratching your head wondering if you're going to lose a high end animal over a $10 problem. Call someone that does it for a living and pay them whatever they ask.

cow pollinater":busn6czm said:
You need to hire someone with lots of experience. I'm talking thousands of head. Any cow that can be bred by a bull can be AI'd. You just have to find someone with enough experience to get it where it needs to be. You're scratching your head wondering if you're going to lose a high end animal over a $10 problem. Call someone that does it for a living and pay them whatever they ask.

cow pollinater is right. I have had people try to breed a heifer and they were unable to get the rod thru, and like you had someone else try with the same unsuccessful result. Finally called me and I had no problem getting thru and bred.

The only heifer I saw that none one including the ABS guy could get a rod through ended up being slaughtered and the cervix was salvaged. It had one opening at the rear and 2 small holes at the front. The interior of it was Y shaped. So far no one has ever claimed to have seen one like that before. Including our vet that worked in the reproduction unit at MARC and taught at Kansas State U

Bull never settled her either with 3 observed breedings.

Thanks for the input, vet is coming out thursaday to preg check a few, then I will call the abs guy and see what he has to say, then possibly the genex guy then possibly bull guy. At least that is the plan, at least for now.
It make all the sense in the world to me that if it can be bred naturally it can be ai'd. And hoping that after a calf or 2 it becomes a little easier. I am glad that most everyone says its still possible to ai her, thanks for the input

She turned two years old in March. How long have you owned her? That is the first thing I do when I go thru a catalog. Check age vs pregnancy. If she was not due to calve by 26 months old, I would NEVER buy her. Why buy breeding problems?

Latest posts