Problem, 1997 Ford f250

Help Support CattleToday:

curtis

Reaction score
I have a Ford f250 psd with a auto transmission. While moving hay last weekend i blew the front seal out of the transmission.
The problem is the trans. cooler is not big enough and the atf gets too hot when you put it in reverse to back a heavy load.
A friend of mine blew his out last year while backing a stock trailer, another when he pulled off the interstate with a load of horse and backed into a parking lot.
I have searched the truck forums and this is a problem with the Fords.
I have a large cooler ordered that should be here in a few days.
Lets see now
Replace the front tranny seal
New fluid and filter
Install new cooler, all this because i put the transmission in reverse to back a load of hay.
Just though that i would warn you if your own one of these trucks.

curtis":4dfxf9bm said:
I have a Ford f250 psd with a auto transmission. While moving hay last weekend i blew the front seal out of the transmission.
The problem is the trans. cooler is not big enough and the atf gets too hot when you put it in reverse to back a heavy load.
A friend of mine blew his out last year while backing a stock trailer, another when he pulled off the interstate with a load of horse and backed into a parking lot.
Lets see now
New fluid and filter
Install new cooler, all this because i put the transmission in reverse to back a load of hay.
How big a load was it? Did you have to put it on the floor to get it to move? Just curious, I've never owned a ford, but have noticed they have to rap up full throttle to get them to move sometimes when loaded and / or in soft ground. This can't be good inside the ole trans. :shock:

I have never seen a pickup come from the factory with an adequate transmission or engine oil cooler.

I think we all overload the capabilities of our pickups.

I know I do.

When we buy a truck with an automatic trans we know up front that we are sacrificing toughness for convenience.

Reverse and "First" is not a low enough gear ratio on any auto. IMHO.

curtis":vmf1x81x said:
Lets see now
New fluid and filter

You could also use an automatic synthetic transmission oil. It's amazing how that alone will keep the temp. lower on the transmission. I witnessed a demonstration with a temp. probe in the ATF. The ATF was changed and same miles and load driven and the temp. was 38 deg. F lower with the synthetic ATF. I won't bring up a brand but I know of several that are good. Lots of electronic shift transmissions when rebuilt get synthetic put back in by the repair shop. Ask a local rebuild shop and see what they say.

Blew the front seal out of the trans. on a 99 f250 last week loading hay out of a field...Never backed up, driving forward the whole time...

curtis":eamnzuhn said:
Lets see now
New fluid and filter

I had the same problem so when I replaced the truck I bought a 5 speed. So I ended the tranny problems, but I'm tired of shifting gears. The next truck I'm thinking about the Duramax with the Allison.

gertman":3vp7rv0d said:
curtis":3vp7rv0d said:
Lets see now
New fluid and filter

I had the same problem so when I replaced the truck I bought a 5 speed. So I ended the tranny problems, but I'm tired of shifting gears. The next truck I'm thinking about the Duramax with the Allison.
Good Choice! That Allison is amazing! :shock: :lol: :lol:

i am happy with my 97 if i can even get it to drive 15 miles let alone with a load of hay

Good Choice! That Allison is amazing!

Just wait until you have to get it worked on and the bill payment comes out of your pocket.

I have a feeling you won't be hollering; "Amazing"! :lol:

MikeC":3vgmt478 said:

Just wait until you have to get it worked on and the bill payment comes out of your pocket.

everything is like that.

i hate my dads ford 97 f350. it sucks at hauling. expecially goin up these stupid nebraskan hills. even when it aint gotta load it sucks.

cattleluvr18":1ti8zw70 said:
MikeC":1ti8zw70 said:

everything is like that.

i hate my dads ford 97 f350. it sucks at hauling. expecially goin up these stupid nebraskan hills. even when it aint gotta load it sucks.
that is how my peice of crap 97 is here in flat A$$ kansas

Moocow11":2x36k1h2 said:
cattleluvr18":2x36k1h2 said:
MikeC":2x36k1h2 said:

everything is like that.

that is how my peice of crap 97 is here in flat A$$ kansas
well good thing kansas is flat. i have to floor my dumb piece to get it movin. and its a dully which makes me hate it all the more.

Had same problem on mine getting hot

Put temp gauges on mine (96 F350 auto) and drove it one time with outside temp about 102 and pulling a empty stock trailer. Temp got to 250 degrees on transmision in about one hour, next day went and bought another transmisson cooler installed it in place of factory cooler and hauled next day about 5 tons in 105 degree heat and temp only got to 175 to 180 on transmission.
I have noticed when backing up even with new cooler that temps will rise fast. some guys I know put a small fan in front on the cooler ( have a switch inside the cab they turn in on with) and run the fan when they back up or idle very long. I never idle or back up for more than a minute or 2 so not done it on mine

Latest posts