Probios boluses

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90

Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding probios boluses to my receiving cattle program. I always worry about administering boluses wrong. Anyone use these?

RanchMan90":2ywbdrd2 said:
I'm thinking about adding probios boluses to my receiving cattle program. I always worry about administering boluses wrong. Anyone use these?
Most use them only when they have a problem. Certainly won't hurt anything. We use to give every milk cow a similar probiotic bolus before they went into the milking herd.

TexasBred":q6lj06hg said:
RanchMan90":q6lj06hg said:
Most use them only when they have a problem. Certainly won't hurt anything. We use to give every milk cow a similar probiotic bolus before they went into the milking herd.
I figured it couldn't hurt on high risk lightweight calves. The mass treatment antibiotic seems to knock their gut health for a bit?

RanchMan90":1lesetbq said:
TexasBred":1lesetbq said:
RanchMan90":1lesetbq said:
I figured it couldn't hurt on high risk lightweight calves. The mass treatment antibiotic seems to knock their gut health for a bit?
Absolutely it will and these lighweights need every advantage they can get.

I use the probios tubes in the caulking gun to drench with. Give them a dose when I begin grain and halter training. Also, if they look or feel out of sorts.

Bright Raven":2exlxkm2 said:
I use the probios tubes in the caulking gun to drench with. Give them a dose when I begin grain and halter training. Also, if they look or feel out of sorts.
I like that approach of application better :D

RanchMan90":2tv9drsj said:
Bright Raven":2tv9drsj said:

Why? I put the tube in the side of their mouth, give them the number of shots based on weight and no fuss. In fact, I can do it real quick while they are just standing there haltered.

RanchMan90":2eb0xno1 said:
Bright Raven":2eb0xno1 said:

Here's what I use to use. Fast Track...good product but you usually have to find a local dealer for them.

https://www.conklin.com/ProductCategory ... =02&eibo=0

Bright Raven":2hsz8gk8 said:
RanchMan90":2hsz8gk8 said:
Bright Raven":2hsz8gk8 said:

Why? I put the tube in the side of their mouth, give them the number of shots based on weight and no fuss. In fact, I can do it real quick while they are just standing there haltered.
Paste instead of boluses. Just seems like less to go wrong there.

TexasBred":2zszedy5 said:
RanchMan90":2zszedy5 said:
Bright Raven":2zszedy5 said:

Here's what I use to use. Fast Track...good product but you usually have to find a local dealer for them.

https://www.conklin.com/ProductCategory ... =02&eibo=0
I'll check it out. Thanks

RanchMan90":1lsv0lma said:
Bright Raven":1lsv0lma said:
RanchMan90":1lsv0lma said:

I wonder which is cheaper? I use the paste in a caulking gun .

Bright Raven":2xhr6y32 said:
RanchMan90":2xhr6y32 said:
Bright Raven":2xhr6y32 said:

For a 400 lb calf the bolus is .80 and paste is 1.30. Very negligible difference to save a few minutes. And I don't really care for boluses, for no good reason.

RanchMan90":2u2g2gmh said:
Bright Raven":2u2g2gmh said:
RanchMan90":2u2g2gmh said:

For a 400 lb calf the bolus is .80 and paste is 1.30. Very negligible difference to save a few minutes. And I don't really care for boluses, for no good reason.

Thank you, Augustus

RanchMan90":1yb6izpq said:
TexasBred":1yb6izpq said:
RanchMan90":1yb6izpq said:
I have to ask, why the mass antibiotic treatment to begin with?

kenny thomas":33j02iuv said:
RanchMan90":33j02iuv said:
TexasBred":33j02iuv said:
I have to ask, why the mass antibiotic treatment to begin with?
Trying to cut down on death loss, I take in 40 head of 2-3 wt calves from several barns this week. A weak long acting antibiotic like la300 on arrival seems to cut down on doctoring. Always trying to tune my protocol to lower risk and improve health.

I give Inforce 3 nasal, Presponse, Alpha 7, worm with injectable Cydectin, implant with Ralgro, tetanus antitoxin if it's a bull calf I'm castration. Put them on good leafy hay for the first 3-4 days then start a little feed and add as they clean it up. Usually turn them outo on grass by the 5th day.

Latest posts