Probably never see another like it in my lifetime...

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Even experienced vet had never seen one, only read about them in vet school, so he had to do a quick refresher course to even remember what they are called. Ocular dermoids. Patch of skin cells and hair on the eye. Congenital defect. Calf was first to get pinkeye, in that eye, extremely early in season. Thought something on her eye was odd when I roped and treated her on pasture. Now I get a better look. Apparently can be removed, but she is poorest calf in the bunch, so somebody else will get the opportunity to do that when I get rid of her as a stocker. I'm sure she'll get docked hard for having 'pinkeye'.

IMG_20171006_154031.jpg

IMG_20171006_154126.jpg

IMG_20171006_154213.jpg

Well, Cheers " Here's hair in your eye."

There is no end to how many defects can occur during tissue differentiation.

Great pictures! Thanks

I had been taught that ocular dermoids like the one pictured can be heritable in Hereford cattle. Neat to see one, not so much if it's yours.

redcowsrule33":rzzzpm9y said:
I had been taught that ocular dermoids like the one pictured can be heritable in Hereford cattle. Neat to see one, not so much if it's yours.

Research from 1984 said it was genetically heritable, but a more recent journal paper from 2012 from New Zealand (I think) said it was not. It is found in multiple other breeds (Simmental, Holstein, etc.) and species as well, including humans.

Thank you for sharing the pics. Have never seen it in any breed of cattle. And I have seen a few holsteins over the years of milk testing. Interesting fact to file away. Sorry it is in yours, but maybe it won't hurt her so much as the eye isn't weeping or anything.

Aaron":lzjr3sk8 said:
redcowsrule33":lzjr3sk8 said:

Research from 1984 said it was genetically heritable, but a more recent journal paper from 2012 from New Zealand (I think) said it was not. It is found in multiple other breeds (Simmental, Holstein, etc.) and species as well, including humans.

Yes you are correct in children as well. In majority of cases chronic inflammation is seen where the immune system goes haywire causing cells to amass. Since they are not sure what causes the problem let's hope the meat doesn't end up on the plate at the local school.

Latest posts