Probable cause to get pulled over by the cops.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
My daughter hit another deer, her 5th in 4 years, so I'm rebuilding her car again. She's been driving my old farm truck it's a
92 Ford F250 4x4 diesel with over 445k miles. She got pulled over because the truck supposedly looked dangerous. I drove the truck to Kentucky, Florida and all over middle Georgia within the last year without any problems. She ended up getting a verbal warning for no rear view mirror, even though the truck has tow mirrors on it? He checked all the lights, brakes, tag, registration and insurance. I'm going to find out if a cop needs probable cause to pull you over, and what that consists of Monday.

Vince

How I process that:

Nothing bad happened. There is a benefit to your daughter that the vehicle was the subject of a safety check. I think I would view it as a public service. Everyone benefits when vehicles on the road are safe.

Send your local police department a public donation. They earned it. And have a good weekend.

Bright Raven":i6ro75s7 said:
Vince

How I process that:

Nothing bad happened. There is a benefit to your daughter that the vehicle was the subject of a safety check. I think I would view it as a public service. Everyone benefits when vehicles on the road are safe.

Send your local police department a public donation. They earned it. And have a good weekend.
I think she was being profiled, I do sorta agree with you. But pulling someone over for no reason isn't right.

The reason you gave above is that she was pulled over because the vehicle "looked dangerous". That is certainly without question in the purview of his duties. Now you are speculating that he pulled her over because she is pretty.

Vince, I would assume it was just as he said - because he was concerned that the vehicle was a threat to public safety which is within his duties to check. Don't go down this "pretty girl" profile path. I promise it is a dead end.

Bright Raven":sa13ag28 said:
The reason you gave above is that she was pulled over because the vehicle "looked dangerous". That is certainly without question in the purview of his duties. Now you are speculating that he pulled her over because she is pretty.

Vince, I would assume it was just as he said - because he was concerned that the vehicle was a threat to public safety which is within his duties to check. Don't go down this "pretty girl" profile path. I promise it is a dead end.
I was just kidding Ron, good looking girls aren't supposed to be driving junk. My old truck is a farm truck, it's not a piece crap.

M-5":3i6xhzp3 said:
That's BS plenty of crack heads running down the roads in far more dangerous vehicle s than your old ford.
That's what I was thinking, and I can't go to town without seeing someone breaking the rules of the road.

I don't buy into the "vehicle looked dangerous" crap either. I think we know why he pulled her over. BUT, I will agree with Ron. No way to prove it, probably a dead end road. May stop it from happening again but that's about it. TG put her in that silver Dodge. If she can't Dodge it she can Ram it :lol2: Last time I seen it, it still didn't have a dent in it. Time to break it in so it can take the place of the old Ford :hide:

JMJ Farms":22avdbdb said:
I don't buy into the "vehicle looked dangerous" crap either. I think we know why he pulled her over. BUT, I will agree with Ron. No way to prove it, probably a dead end road. May stop it from happening again but that's about it. TG put her in that silver Dodge. If she can't Dodge it she can Ram it :lol2: Last time I seen it, it still didn't have a dent in it. Time to break it in so it can take the place of the old Ford :hide:
Not a chance, she needs a tank. Her brand new car I bought her for graduation she totaled before she graduated. I'm a little worried about her she has my attitude but no common sense. She's still pulling a 98 in pre med so I cut her some slack, plus she's daddy's little spoiled girl.

No harm, no foul. Cop was just doing his job.

The last thing they need is more legislation preventing them from making traffic stops, just creates more loopholes for the tweakers and crooks.

They do need probable cause, but it is easy for them to cite something trivial (tag is dirty, tag light not working, truck looked unsafe, etc.)

A few years ago the LEOs caused a bit of an uproar in a nearby town from stopping people unnecessarily, but if they stop 10 cars and get one for DUI, by all means, keep it up.

TennesseeTuxedo":1o5u93cr said:
OH, and put a rear view mirror on that thing, it's an easy process.

True enough, but in the days and times in which we live, there are a lot more pressing issues that law enforcement should be focusing their resources on rather than a missing tear view mirror, even if that were the legitimate reason she was pulled over. At least here.

JMJ Farms":2rxcffsp said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2rxcffsp said:

True enough, but in the days and times in which we live, there are a lot more pressing issues that law enforcement should be focusing their resources on rather than a missing tear view mirror, even if that were the legitimate reason she was pulled over. At least here.

I got pulled over a few years ago driving my daughter's Tahoe because her tags were expired. Do you think I was being profiled? He let me go with a warning.

JMJ Farms":21rpuj1n said:
TennesseeTuxedo":21rpuj1n said:

I have lived in Kentucky, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. Over a span of 50 years, it is not that unusual to be pulled over for safety. You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. Not saying that there are not weird cops out there that harrass women - ugly or pretty, lol. But Vince just didn't have anything of substance to post last evening. Lol

Operating an unsafe vehicle would be probable cause here. (Texas DPS makes trucks park all the time because they are unsafe.) Just a headlight or tail light out is deemed unsafe and people get stopped all the time for those.

slick4591":2ekki2ow said:
Operating an unsafe vehicle would be probable cause here. (Texas DPS makes trucks park all the time because they are unsafe.) Just a headlight or tail light out is deemed unsafe and people get stopped all the time for those.
Slick, I'm good with all that, the officer didn't find anything wrong with the truck. I don't want to be screwed with and having everything working on your vehicle is a good start to not being pulled over.

True Grit Farms":1i0r0gq2 said:
slick4591":1i0r0gq2 said:
Slick, I'm good with all that, the officer didn't find anything wrong with the truck. I don't want to be screwed with and having everything working on your vehicle is a good start to not being pulled over.

"Didn't find anything wrong" is the operable phrase here. He could not have made that determination had he not made the stop.

I have used the special adhesive that is designed for mounting rear view mirrors onto the windshield in the past Vince.

Latest posts