Pro’s and con’s

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
What is best size and length of needles for giving vaccines for cows and heifers. Also calves. Aluminum hub verses polymer hubs?
The last I used was polymer size 14, I inch needle for sun w and IM medicine.your thoughts please.

That depends on the viscosity and your setup/handling facilities. Check the inside label of the box to see what they recommend.

That said, I use 1x18 for most vaccines, 1x16 if they're thick and I always use disposable poly hub. If you have wild cattle and not the best facilities, a 3/4" needle won't bend or break as easily. IM generally requires a longer needle than SQ.

I use 1 inch 18's and 3/4 inch 16's. Mostly I use the 18's unless something is thicker then I use the 16's. I use the aluminum hubs. No particular reason for using them it just is what I always buy.

I'll be the odd one out. We do a lot of alley vaccinating. 16ga x ¾" for most vaccines. 14ga x 1 for the thick wormer and antibiotics. 18ga x 2" for deep IM breeding hormones.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALUMINUM HUBS FOR CATTLE

I'll be the odd one out. We do a lot of alley vaccinating. 16ga x ¾" for most vaccines. 14ga x 1 for the thick wormer and antibiotics. 18ga x 2" for deep IM breeding hormones.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALUMINUM HUBS FOR CATTLE
Thanks to all for replies. I think this will help a lot.

I agree with the aluminum and I use 3/4x16 for thick and 3/4x18 if thin.
Those are the same sizes we use 99% of the time... keep a few 1" long for IM... use either aluminum or poly hubs... what is available. Actually have some that are 5/8 x18's.... and keep a few 20's for shots under eyelid for bad pinkeye.

Poly is to fragile on a pistol grip
I'll agree with that if you're dealing with wild cattle. In my world, the majority of vaccines are prepared ahead of time in disposable syringes/needles. The exception is Vista Once for calves at weaning when a pistol grip/repeater syringe is used, but needles are still switched out for every calf and they're poly.

Poly is to fragile on a pistol grip. Don't want to leave the needle behind when I give a shot. We do a lot of alley vaccinating, especially on cows. They don't always stand as quiet as they could.
Thanks. We do not not use repeating type of guns for vaccinating so probably would not be as big a deal then. I use the "single" syringes... usually have 2 to fill alternately and I try to change needles every 5-10.... hate a dull needle. But that is interesting info; I had no idea.

Latest posts