Private Treaty Sales Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Jabes0623

Reaction score
Due to some unforeseen circumstances I have decided to sell my small herd of balancer cows & heifers. These are all high quality animals with excellent genetics. I'd like to avoid the sale barn if at all possible but I'm not really sure how to go about marketing my stock or setting prices for private treaty sales. So anyone got any advice?

Around here the sale barn will have special sales, or a special time during a sale for herd dispersals..

If selling privately, I'd add some money on what the best stuff is going for at the barn and see what comes of it.. you'd have some wiggle room to deal anyhow

Sorry to hear you have to get rid of them!

Agree with local word of mouth & special sales at the Sale Barn - ours will market them for you. I've also posted on Facebook in KS Farmers/Ranchers - you might check to see if there's a group in your area. Best of luck!

Some salebarns will advertise a herd sell out and sell them at the beginning of their normal sale. A lot will depend on the size of the herd. Might be worth asking them and as others said it doesn't hurt to try Craigslist and other ways to advertise.

I have had decent luck so far with Craigslist. Know many people who check it daily for cattle. Price it to have haggle room. Be firm though. People will try to lowball you for sure. Just know what they are worth. See what similar cattle are fetching.

Cattle range and FB sites seem to work well here. You need to research a sale barn if going that route. At least in this area.

Jabes0623":2u28c2c6 said:
Due to some unforeseen circumstances I have decided to sell my small herd of balancer cows & heifers. These are all high quality animals with excellent genetics. I'd like to avoid the sale barn if at all possible but I'm not really sure how to go about marketing my stock or setting prices for private treaty sales. So anyone got any advice?

I wish you were closer I might be your buyer! How many is there? B&G

Black and Good":2ya51bop said:
I wish you were closer I might be your buyer! How many is there? B&G

4 cows, 2 bred heifers & 4 heifers born this year 2 spring & 2 fall & 1 bull. Though I'm seriously considering having the bull butchered for my freezer.

Do you have a local or regional newspaper that is farming and ranching specific? If so, it probably would be worth placing a classified ad in it. Out here in the Northwest we have the Capital Press, a regional agriculture-specific weekly newspaper/website that has a large classified ad section and a lot of people subscribe to it just for the classifieds. Also, don't rule out the auction barn if you have a good one in your area that has a owner/manager/staff with good livestock marketing backgrounds. They have a lot of contact with buyers who might be looking for just what you have to sell and will pay a premium price knowing all of their background information.