Private Treaty Bull Sales

Help Support CattleToday:

Briar Ridge Angus

Reaction score
I don't know if my subject/topic matches what I am wanting to know but here it is. I have a registered Angus Bull that I have been trying to sell privately but I am not having much luck. It is apparent that the bull market is down but am I missing something with this bull? He was born January of 2016 and has a registration number of 18540647. Beat him to death and tell me what I am missing and if I am not missing anything tell me what he would bring in your area. He weighs in the area of 1500 pounds.

Briar Ridge Angus":2rge41ro said:
I have a registered Angus Bull that I have been trying to sale privately but I am not having much luck.
He was born January of 2016
Why is it you southern boys don't understand when to use the word Sell and when to use the word Sale?

What kind of bad luck?
No response to your ads?
Have you sold bulls before?
What type of comments are you getting on this bull compared to others that you've sold?
It may not be the product's fault. You have to get your bull in front of those actually in the market for a yearling bull.
The fault may be advertising, sales pitch, pricing, local competition, reputation or other factors.

He looks decent in the first picture, but nothing in the other 3 makes me want to drive to see him.
One good picture will bring a buyer in to see him, but poor photos do more harm than good.
Private sales are all about getting him in front of a buyer and my guess is that is what you mean you aren't having luck.

I fixed it for you. When I say bad luck I have had several people inquire about him 15-20, but when they hear the price(2200) that I am asking they tuck tail and run and don't make any comments. They say thank you and you never hear from them again. I feel like the price that I am asking is fair but I guess it doesn't seem fair to others. I have only sold 2 bulls before and each one I have sold I have tried to maintain contact and they all seem to be happy with the bulls. The people that inquire don't make any comments they just

Wow not being able to bring in one buyer out of 15-20 inquiries is really bad, so advertising doesn't seem to be the problem. Not to be harsh, but it might be something you're saying to them that makes them feel they've heard enough
to decide I'm no longer interested in this bull.
Some people are good at making and closing a sale and others have trouble on when to use the word in a sentence :)
( Sorry I couldn't resist a friendly needle.)

Inexperienced salesmen do too much telling and not enough listening.
You'll have to learn how to sell inquirers on at least coming to see him before they rule him out or you'll never get him
sold privately.

His pedigree and phenotype back up (although extremely low accuracy) he's a calving ease bull and I'd highlight
calving ease as his strongest selling point (without pointing out how low the accuracy is)

Aaron":3e3xj46i said:
Posty in the back legs and a little too much angle in the front legs.
Yes, but buyers are rejecting him without even seeing him, so either they think the bull is over priced or he's telling
them something or saying something in a way that makes them decide this bull is not for me.
I believe he needs to work on selling them on the idea of at least coming to look at the bull because I've seen people buy worse and it's not like he's priced the bull completely out of the ball park... deep center field maybe for his location, but not out of the park. You've got to listen to what they're looking for and perhaps entice them by getting them to come to look at both the bull and his dam. Being 0 for 15 on getting inquiries to take the next step to come and see the bull he needs to do something different. Maybe his wife should handle the inquiries.

p.s.
I'd price him at 1950, but I wouldn't focus on the price in the sales pitch until closing.

Son of Butch":2vdhydwg said:
Wow not being able to bring in one buyer out of 15-20 inquiries is really bad, so advertising doesn't seem to be the problem. Not to be harsh, but it might be something you're saying to them that makes them feel they've heard enough
to decide I'm no longer interested in this bull.
Some people are good at making and closing a sale and others have trouble on when to use the word in a sentence :)
( Sorry I couldn't resist a friendly needle.)

Inexperienced salesmen do too much telling and not enough listening.
You'll have to learn how to sell inquirers on at least coming to see him before they rule him out or you'll never get him
sold privately.

His pedigree and phenotype back up (although extremely low accuracy) he's a calving ease bull and I'd highlight
calving ease as his strongest selling point (without pointing out how low the accuracy is)

You mentioned it twice. How did he use the word "sell" improperly?

Bulls like that are selling for $1500 this year. Your price is higher than the market Briar Ridge.

Well his breeding and numbers don't help him. It's always easier to sell a bull from a sire with name recognition. He looks good to me but over priced in this market. I saw 3 nice young semen tested Angus bulls sell yesterday for less than $1,300 and 2 little older SimAngus bulls for less $1,400. They were all worth more than that. IMO
The only other thing is to doll him up a little. I trim everything up a little before I sell them.

JWBrahman":240yv17y said:
You mentioned it twice. How did he use the word "sell" improperly?
As he stated... he edited it to change Sale to Sell.

Not to pick on him.........
For some reason it is a very frequent error that I have only seen made by Southern cattlemen.
Trying to Sale my bull. (Makes me think the bull won't float, so of course he won't sail) :)
Must be a regional thing or culture thing... in example... some 'cultures' say Axed (Aksed) when they mean Asked.

There is very little data on his EPD's other than calving ease. Docility is a big factor for me. Personally, I don't like his feet in the first pic. That said, we paid considerably more than your asking price for two 18 month old registered Angus a few months ago BUT from a reputable breeder than had been in business 40 years (so in essence part of what we paid for was the name).

I think most in the south just don't put as much effort into using the correct words when everybody knows what your trying to say. Kind of like how we don't try so hard to be politically correct as up north does. :hide:

I couldn't speak for the pricing cause well I haven't looked at any bulls. But I do know from back when I was sale-ing cars you can not sell it if you can not get the person to come to see it in person. What you say and how you say it makes the difference. Even being overly friendly can make a person think your hiding something or just straight up lying. Not saying this is what happen but it could be. I'm no cattle judge compared to all these more seasoned guys and gals but I wouldn't buy based on those pictures. Can't explain why but he's not what I like to see. I like the brangus look. If those are the pictures your using to sell him then you need some more flattering pictures.

TCRanch":3mp6ec12 said:
There is very little data on his EPD's other than calving ease. Docility is a big factor for me. Personally, I don't like his feet in the first pic. That said, we paid considerably more than your asking price for two 18 month old registered Angus a few months ago BUT from a reputable breeder than had been in business 40 years (so in essence part of what we paid for was the name).

One ET bull from here sold at the Gardiner Angus sale sold for 3 times the money as the bulls ET brothers at the Calhoun bull test. There's no doubt that the name is worth more than the animal.

Briar, one option would be to start taking offers/bids. Start him with something that would be the least you'd be willing to take. That way the buyers can tell you what they think he should (sell) for. B&G

Been to some Bull Sales here in 2017 the bull either sell HIGH or CHEAP and not much in between. Just bought a Register 19 month 3/4 SimAngus for $2000. Only bought him because I thought he was a really good deal and I liked the pedigree. Didn't really need any extra bull power. Figured he would have went for $1,700 if I hadn't joined in to bid. Here's a pic I snapped of him.

Some years it's just ridiculous what they all sell for other years it's how in the world can they not do better than that. Unfortunately it's the latter this time. Best of Luck to you with Him.

Son of Butch":2dc40rjp said:
Aaron":2dc40rjp said:
Posty in the back legs and a little too much angle in the front legs.
Yes, but buyers are rejecting him without even seeing him, so either they think the bull is over priced or he's telling
them something or saying something in a way that makes them decide this bull is not for me.
I believe he needs to work on selling them on the idea of at least coming to look at the bull because I've seen people buy worse and it's not like he's priced the bull completely out of the ball park... deep center field maybe for his location, but not out of the park. You've got to listen to what they're looking for and perhaps entice them by getting them to come to look at both the bull and his dam. Being 0 for 15 on getting inquiries to take the next step to come and see the bull he needs to do something different. Maybe his wife should handle the inquiries.

p.s.
I'd price him at 1950, but I wouldn't focus on the price in the sales pitch until closing.

I agree with a lot you are saying SOB, good advice! We prefer not to post prices in our advertising/marketing efforts and not bring price up until a potential buyer asks. The strategy is to get a potential buyer interested without focusing solely on the price first. If you can get a call or email based on pictures, data, or better yet even video you have it at least allowed yourself the opportunity to make a sales pitch and have a dialogue that you may not of had the chance to have if you scared someone away by posting a price. Videos show a lot more about an animal than a phot will, you could take 100 photos of the same animal and based on the angle and how the animal is posed someone will probably find something they don't like with each photo where as videos you at least can see the animal walk and get some different live angles to get a better idea of what they really look like. Obviously not everyone has the know-how or capability to do videos but it definitely is a good marketing tool to have if you can do it.

It's been slow around here for private treaty bull sales too and hearing the same from others in the area that sell bulls as well. Hopefully with breeding season getting closer things start to pick up more. Just got our yearling weights and measurements and ultra sound scans done on our bulls this week at their BSE so that's more data we can get out there to hopefully help out on the marking front once that's been processed.

Butch,
It's not just us 'Southern' boys. I see plenty of northern/western folks who use the wrong choice of your/you're, there/their/they're, lose/loose, or type 'where' for 'were'. Some don't know any better, some are just typing on the fly(or sometimes AutoCorrect inserts the wrong word for them) and don't bother going back to correct it.
I put away my 'grammar snob' hat here - and on most of the cattle discussion boards -or I'd be spending all day correcting folks' spelling and sentence structure. Most folks are not writing a doctoral dissertation.

I grew up in UCLA(upper corner of lower Alabama). I can talk as 'country' as anyone here (just ask Bigfoot); but I'm going to write - unless I'm making a point or being funny - in a grammatically proper manner. Just because I have a Southern drawl, it doesn't mean that I'm ignorant.

Lucky_P":10hcj8at said:
I grew up in UCLA(upper corner of lower Alabama). I can talk as 'country' as anyone here (just ask Bigfoot); but I'm going to write - unless I'm making a point or being funny - in a grammatically proper manner. Just because I have a Southern drawl, it doesn't mean that I'm ignorant.

It's funny, but my wife and I were talking about the same thing the other day. I come from an extremely academic family and she comes from a more blue-collar family. I have a really hard time looking past those types of things when I'm going to buy something, but she doesn't seem to care at all-as long as the message is clearly stated that is. If I'm spending a decent amount of money, I expect a certain class from the person/business. Example: I'm not spending $25 for an expensive dinner at a mom and pop greasy spoon where they use plastic baskets and plastic forks. I once went to a seafood place in Maine that did that. Apparently (I don't do seafood so I had a burger), it was wonderful, but it came out in those plastic baskets and I felt ripped off. I don't care how great it's supposed to be, I just can't do it. However, I'm working to overcome that, but sometimes old habits are hard to kill. Sometimes it's the packaging that kills the product, no matter how good it is.

Latest posts