Prime Rib

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
If your wanting to have the butcher to cut prime rib out of your beef. Do you have to ask them to do it ? How much prime rib can be cut from one beef ?

You either specify to your butcher Ribeye steaks or prime rib roast. How many you get depends on how big you want each one to be.

In the bearded butcher video he mentions that some people would look at the cuts of beef he had cut to compare grass verses grain fed beef.

And some people would say they could finish out a beef with alot more fat and marveling than the ones he was using in the video. And he said they would be right. He said cuts like that would be labeled as prime cuts of beef. He said that was just a tip to help understand why some cuts of meat are labeled prime beef.

The way i understand it. Prime Rib roast is cut from a certain rib area and I am probably wrong about that is cut from the 7th rib area ?

I had never heard of prime rib roast until 4 or 5 years ago until while on vacation in Monta Vista Colorado. One night while there we ask the hotel clerk where we were staying if they could recommend a good place to eat.

They said Quincys restraunt and that they only had two meals that you could choose from and depending on what night you went to eat there. You could only choose one of thoes two meals that they were serving at their restraunt.

Like on Wednesday night's and Thursday night it was Prime Rib night, Friday and Thursday night's it was filet mignon on the menue.

And the clerk said you better get there early or you would have to wait in line for a while.

I told the wife that was kind of strange and that l wasn't going to wait in line to go out and eat at any place. And had never heard of a restraunt that only gave you one choice to choose from.

It wasn't until after about the 3rd year that we had stayed at the same motel and town where that restraunt was. That we finally decided to try this strange restraunt out that my wife always reminds me of the fact that she wanted to try it out the first time we heard of it.

It was Prime Rib night. That's the first time i had ever ate prime rib roast. You talking about good. Man it was great. I would have to say for myself that is the best cut there is in my opinion.

The prime rib (also called rib roast) or rib steaks are cut between ribs 6-12. They're both the same thing, When I've paid to have processing done I've always had to specify if I wanted the rib roast or steaks. When done as rib roasts, they're typically cut in half, so you end up with 4 rib roasts. I've also done half steaks and half roasts. Prime rib is just a name, it doesn't mean it's been graded as Prime. Carcasses are graded as "Prime", "Choice", etc..., not the individual cuts.

Latest posts