Prime rib roast help

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I told my wife I would cook a small Christmas dinner since it will be just the two of us. I got a 4 to 5 lbs prime rib roast out and it thawing out in the fridge. It will Be cooked in the oven, not much smoking going on in the PNW. My goal is tender, through slow cooking and med to med well inside and well outside. And of course seasoned well.

Any help from anyone, including the great gourmets we have on CT, on how you would cook it and how you would season it? Dun you lost me when you said a good quick easy meal is a hot dog straight out of the package from the fridge, feel free to sit this one out :lol:

Alan

Not a gourmet cook but heres what i would do:
A red wine, beef bullion, balsamic vinegar, fresh garlic salt pepper reduction sauce. Maybe some rosemary and basil too.
Then id brush the reduction on and quick sear all sides of the roast i could. Then into the oven at 275 until cooked the way you want.
Let rest and spoon remaining reduction over the roast or serve on the side.
But ive never done a prime rib myself

Prime rib is not my specialty and I'm certainly no gourmet cook. I'm also pretty plain when it comes to prime rib, but be sure to cake as much rub as you can to the roast.

Freshly ground black pepper
Ground sea salt

Preheat oven 450-500F.
Place in pan with fat side up on lowest rack. Cook for 20 minutes, then lower oven temp to 325F leaving roast in the oven. Pull roast at 140F and allow to rest and the internal temp will increase 5-10 degrees while at rest. That should put you at med/med well. Dont cover or tent during resting period!

Try this Alan, if you cannot find fresh herbs use dried . Make sure you use fresh garlic though ,it makes all the difference.

2 heads roasted garlic
3 1/2 teaspoons ground sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 standing rib roast of beef
1 1/2 cups red wine, plus 1 more cup if making au jus, optional
1/2 cup beef stock, plus 2 more cups if making au jus, optional

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Separate the heads of roasted garlic into cloves and squeeze the roasted garlic out of the peels. Place the garlic in a small bowl and mash with the back of a fork until mostly smooth. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, the rosemary and thyme, and stir to blend. Pat this mixture evenly over the top and sides of the roast.

Season the roast all over with the remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Place the roast in a roasting pan and add 1 1/2 cups red wine and 1/2 cup beef stock to the bottom of the pan. Roast for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue to roast to the desired degree of doneness, about 18 minutes per pound for rare and 22 minutes per pound for medium. Let stand at least 5 minutes before carving.

Use a meat thermometer

If you want to get really fancy make a mirepoix for it with onion ,carrots and celery.
Don't forget the yorkshire pudding. ;-)
Have a wonderful Christmas dinner, I am sure it will be delicious and your wife will love it . Merry Christmas Alan and family .. :santa:

STANDING RIB ROAST

7 to 8 pound rib roast
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups beef stock

In a small bowl, combine dry mustard, sugar, and Dijon mustard. Brush mixture over the roast. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight. Remove from refrigerator and allow meat to set at room temperature before putting it in the oven. Heat the oven to 450 degrees, set the roast, rib-side down, in a heavy, shallow roasting pan. (The ribs act as a natural rack.) Using a paring knife, score the outer layer of the roast, and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue to roast, basting every 15 to 25 minutes, until it reaches a temperature of 125 degrees for medium rare on an instant-read thermometer. Remove roast to platter and let rest at least 15 minutes before carving. (I prefer rare so turn oven off when temperature reaches 115 degrees in the center of the roast).
Gravy:
Set the roasting pan on the stove over medium heat. Simmer until juices begin to darken, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook, scraping up caramelized bits, until flour is deep golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add beef stock and bring to a boil, stirring until thickened. It should very lightly coat the back of a spoon. Season with salt and pepper. (Strain if you like before serving).
Horseradish Sauce:
1 heaping tablespoon freshly grated horseradish or 3 tablespoons bottled.
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Juice of ½ lemon
1 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
Stir horseradish, salt pepper, and lemon juice into whipped cream

Note: This horseradish sauce is awesome, I use it on other cuts of beef as well.
Have a Merry Christmas!!

slick4591":twm9717e said:
Prime rib is not my specialty and I'm certainly no gourmet cook. I'm also pretty plain when it comes to prime rib, but be sure to cake as much rub as you can to the roast.

Freshly ground black pepper
Ground sea salt

Preheat oven 450-500F.
Place in pan with fat side up on lowest rack. Cook for 20 minutes, then lower oven temp to 325F leaving roast in the oven. Pull roast at 140F and allow to rest and the internal temp will increase 5-10 degrees while at rest. That should put you at med/med well. Dont cover or tent during resting period!

Alan, I've done a similar method before and it works well. I have a recipe box missing -- the one with the prime rib directions in it. With mine, rub the roast well with S&P. Use the 500 the high heat for, I believe 5 mins. per pound for medium rare; then TURN OFF the heat; tent the roast with alum. foil; and let it sit in the oven for an hour, undisturbed. The timing is critical -- it only takes a couple more minutes per pound to go from med. rare to well. We served it with a horseradish sauce, simple to make with whipping cream (not Cool Whip!) and HR.

Latest posts