Priefert vs Powder River chute ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
I need a new chute. Mainly I am one man show when it comes to branding , vaccinations, etc. Currently have an old Priefert . My local feed store owner swears Power River has a better self catch system. Or should I spend more money on a hydraulic squeeze? Thanks
[h3][/h3]

It is very much a regional thing. There was an old Priefert here when I bought this place. I sold it as I had a nearly new Powder River that I brought with me. All the neighbors were happy to see that I sold that Priefert chute. The Powder River runs through Baker City which is the nearest town to me. I will let you guess where Powder River chutes got there start. Priefert seems to be pretty popular in the south. Another plus for me on Powder River is that the regional factory rep is a friend of mine on facebook. Helps to know the right people no matter what you run.

If you use a chute enough to justify a hydraulic they are certainly nice. A lot easier on your body if you run a hundred or so through the chute in a few hours. Neighbor has an old beat to death hydraulic of unknown origins. He has a Silencer on order but it hasn't arrive yet.. We ran 70 cows through in about 40 minutes this afternoon. He has about 1,000 cows so a chute gets used a lot. he says his shoulders wouldn't put up with those numbers through my manual Powder River.

I don't have any experience with Powder River, we had a Priefert for about 18 years. The Priefert got the job done but was difficult for me to catch bulls also the slats are a broken or injured leg waiting to happen. We went from Priefert to Foremost we have been very satisfied with the Foremost but when we needed a new working pen at the main farm we switched to an Arrow Equip and really like it. Of the three we have experience with I would rate them.
1. Arrow Equip
2. Foremost
3. Priefert

We have a Foremost. Between Priefert and Powder River, I'd say Powder River. Friends down the road swear by Powder River, and the local vet clinic here has had a Powder River Chute for years and years and it's still in good shape after tons of use.

I've owned Tarter, Powder River, Sioux Steel and have used a priefert chute and calf table from the neighbor. I ended up with an Arrow 86 and wouldn't go back to any of the others, but If I was forced to it would be a PR.

If you have a YouTube channel Arrow Quip will give you one for free. It seems every time I watch one of my cattle vids they are getting a new chute from Arrow Quip. If you have a dealer close the Pearson Livestock is a great chute. They are self catch and I think they invented the vertical squeezing sides. Located in Thedford Nebraska. You will get lots of opinions but it really comes down to what you like (just like asking someone if they like Ford or Chevy). I think my Dad liked the color the best.

I use a Sioux Steel with the slick gate behind. I highly recommend it. Well built with a great floor. Cattle move through easily.

I need a new chute. Mainly I am one man show when it comes to branding , vaccinations, etc. Currently have an old Priefert . My local feed store owner swears Power River has a better self catch system. Or should I spend more money on a hydraulic squeeze? Thanks
[h3][/h3]
I have Arrowquip - have a small herd of Herefords 30+, could not justify hydraulic.
Arrowquip is one person chute [one woman], easy to operate, no drama. I feel safe using it and handling cattle of different sizes.
Safety and ability to operate it alone had been the most important factor in the decision making process.
I looked at other chutes, to heavy for me.

I have had this chute on the pasture uncovered for the past 3 years, lubricate rails of a head catch handle for smooth sliding.

The most difficult part is to make animals walk through the alley,
love head catch.
I bought a portable one to move it around when needed, and in long term to sell it. These things are not getting cheaper.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with Powder River, we had a Priefert for about 18 years. The Priefert got the job done but was difficult for me to catch bulls also the slats are a broken or injured leg waiting to happen. We went from Priefert to Foremost we have been very satisfied with the Foremost but when we needed a new working pen at the main farm we switched to an Arrow Equip and really like it. Of the three we have experience with I would rate them.
1. Arrow Equip
2. Foremost
3. Priefert
Agree - Arrow

Latest posts