Priefert Squeeze Chutes..anyone with advice

Help Support CattleToday:

It was wild at first. Priefert had me let the air out of the tires down to like #10-15. As soon as I did that it pulls smooth as silk. I don't run with the palp cage through and only about 60mph or so. I stoll don't quite trust it.

Last week my son and I banded calves and pulled it 50mph, 8 miles down a county road, from one place to the next, behind a CanAm defender. 😄

If I have to go further I put the palp cage in the bed of my F150 and pull it with the tailgate down.

For long, long trips I put it on a trailer behind an atv or utv.
Geeze, I don't go over 60 km/h (35 mph) going into town towing nothing.

Ken

We use the SO4 the most for banding calves. I think birddog or some one recommended it here. That has been the best thing. #250-350 is kind of the sweet spot.

Only thing I with is I could push a button and raise it to the desired height. 😄 I'm a big guy and getting down on the ground under those calves can wear you out.
I band mine from the outside through the drop down gates on my SO4 but I'm probably smaller than you. Much older though. It helps if you have someone hold their tail. Agree that the size of the calf makes everything much easier. Rarely do I touch a calf anymore that is not a couple months old. The banding is easier and the respiratory vaccinations seem to work better. I have only had one sick calf from my fall calving calves.

I had an old early 90's version priefert chute and wishbone trailer and was never comfortable pulling it down the highway. I did like you spoke of by pulling it with a side by side upon a 32' flatbed trailer. It worked out better when I got where I was going because the pens were off the road and getting a truck to them was not easy. Dangerous for your tires also. I let it go when I sold the property.

I band mine from the outside through the drop down gates on my SO4 but I'm probably smaller than you. Much older though. It helps if you have someone hold their tail. Agree that the size of the calf makes everything much easier. Rarely do I touch a calf anymore that is not a couple months old. The banding is easier and the respiratory vaccinations seem to work better. I have only had one sick calf from my fall calving calves.

I had an old early 90's version priefert chute and wishbone trailer and was never comfortable pulling it down the highway. I did like you spoke of by pulling it with a side by side upon a 32' flatbed trailer. It worked out better when I got where I was going because the pens were off the road and getting a truck to them was not easy. Dangerous for your tires also. I let it go when I sold the property.
I think it was you that told me. That is exactly what we do.

I narrow up the squeeze and basically make the sides slightly bigger. Use the one door on the back. I catch their head but don't squeeze them tight, just lightly touch them. I'll have my son or some one hold the tail. If the bottom of their bellies are right about the top of the side door it's perfect.

Most the calves are super chill and if you don't squeeze them too much they tend to not suck them up and you are not squeezing on those rear hips. I'll grab and move their legs to make it easier if need be.

I agree on Vaxes. Have had good luck so far.

Priefert has a lifetime warranty on their lockboxes, if you need a replacement all you pay for is the shipping to get it to you.
I needed a lockbox for the squeeze function, and they sent me the lockbox for the headgate, which is different. I called them up and no problem, they shipped me the correct one, now I have a spare for the headgate.