Priefert head gate

Help Support CattleToday:

BILL CLAYLAND

Reaction score
Having build a small tub and alley for my cows I'm trying to get all their shots in order.
I currently have just a wood door at the end now.
I use a pipe to keep them from backing up.
They go in fine, seem pretty calm but when trying to give them vac's the just move way to much
plus trying to use a syringe and needle aint to swift. :shock:
I have a pistol grip syringe now and 18x3/4 needles, havent tried it yet.

Well Ive put in a wanted ad in the paper and found a used 30 yr old Priefert manual head gate for 50 clams.
Guy says its been in the barn for years and is in working order.
Ive had four other calls about the ad and one was a Paul B Zimmerman auto catch for 250 clams.
Zimmerman is a Lancaster PA outfit.

At this time im thinkin the priefert, any suggestions?? and also about those shots, I could use some suggestions there too. :nod:

Bill

My son grabs them by their nose and holds their head up on the wild ones. But they still move around quit a bit. Some of the tamer ones my wife feeds them range cubes while I give them their shots, and they don't care one bit. Just be carefull and take your time, once you have them caught alot of times a wilder cow will settle down. And if you buy a auto catch, watch where your standing because they will miss. The handle caught me in the ribs and knocked me to the ground. :dunce:

The preifert manual is a good buy. I bought one that was never used but out In weather for 5 yrs and it cost me 400 for the manual one

One of the good things about Priefert is if anything breaks they'll send you the parts to fix it

I bought a Priefert manual headgate about five years ago from a man in Atlanta that advertized on craig's List. I paid 150$. I brought it home and it sat for two more years before I completed my corrals and installed it. There were parts missing so I called Priefert and they ask "what model". I gave them the numbers on an exhisting sticker. They told me that it was a seventy's product and sent me the parts needed for free includeing shipping charges, later they sent me new springs. I have never done business with such a generious company. They certanly honor ther warranty no questions asked.

Thats good to hear. I finally broke down and bought a new squeeze. It's a Priefert with auto head catch. The headcatch is different than any I've seen, no chance of the cow getting stuck or hip-caught. I couldnt be happier with it. Great product, glad to hear service after the sale is good as well.

priefertgate.jpg

little axle grease and shell be ready

Went to a guy's house to buy 55 gallon feed barrels and saw an old Priefert head gate laying out behind some round bales. He said it had been laying there for 10-15 yrs. I bought it for $50.00. I called Priefert and they never mentioned any free parts, but they told me I could take it to one of the dealers and they would send it back on one of their trucks. They completely rebuilt it and it cost me about $120.00. When I got it back it looked just like a brand new one! I was sure happy.

I just recently bougt a priefert squeeze chute, that didn't have any paint on it, and nothing worked correctly. I live close enough to their offices, so I took it to them, and they went through the whole chute. They sand blasted, and painted it. It looks just like the brand new ones sitting in their yard. They only charged me $200.00. There is no way that they are making any money off of that, because they added some other things to it, because mine was made back in the 70's.

Priefert sounds like a great company, I know their corral pannels are the best I have used . We can compete with anybody. The unions just drive the price up so high it's not feasible to by American most of the time.

They are excellent people to do business with. Try to visit the plant if you are in Mt. Pleasant. One of the few companies I have met that will lose money to make someone happy. I now have two of there chutes and one head gate. I would recommend them to anyone.

I hope to add a squeeze shoot before long. Based on these testimonials I will look a a Priefert first.

Latest posts