prices up

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Prices are trending up here. Slaughter cows have picked up a dime and 5 wts are crowding $1.60 at this last sale.

That's a little better than here, I averaged $740. a head last week at the sale barn. I'm expecting 3 times that tomorrow at the UGA bred heifer sale...hopefully.

Some things appear to be up. Others maybe not. Last week I bought 14 pairs. 12 black cows and 2 reds. All with 150 pound black calves. Three first calf heifers, five mid aged cows, and six broken mouth cows. All the old cows don't look their age. Great udders, good feet, just missing a tooth or two. Averaged weighing about 1,200. I paid $1,078 a head.

True Grit Farms":2l5x5yw8 said:
That's a little better than here, I averaged $740. a head last week at the sale barn. I'm expecting 3 times that tomorrow at the UGA bred heifer sale...hopefully.

You can only get what someone is willing to pay. My 3 times the sale barn price didn't work out so well. We didn't even adverage twice as much as the sale barn, and had to pay $500. to the test station for feed and breeding.
We broke even at best.

I just sold a couple bred heifers off the farm. Nice animals just outside my calving window. $1500 each. Seemed low but I wanted to move them. They aren't due till Dec 1. Maybe I shouldn't complain.....

True Grit Farms":126oxrh1 said:
True Grit Farms":126oxrh1 said:

You can only get what someone is willing to pay. My 3 times the sale barn price didn't work out so well. We didn't even adverage twice as much as the sale barn, and had to pay $500. to the test station for feed and breeding.
We broke even at best.

What went wrong?

TennesseeTuxedo":19kqympu said:
True Grit Farms":19kqympu said:
True Grit Farms":19kqympu said:

We broke even at best.

What went wrong?

You can only get what someone is willing to pay. I was shocked, humble pie taste like crap. $2,400 was the highest selling heifer and only 17 out of a 110 heifers sold for more than $2,000. And three sold for only $850.
Every heifer was confirmed bred either by AI or natural service for 100+ days. And every heifer was DNA tested for defects, disease and pelvic scored.

True Grit Farms":3m3cil5t said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3m3cil5t said:
True Grit Farms":3m3cil5t said:
We broke even at best.

What went wrong?

You can only get what someone is willing to pay. I was shocked, humble pie taste like crap. $2,400 was the highest selling heifer and only 17 out of a 110 heifers sold for more than $2,000. And three sold for only $850.
Every heifer was confirmed bred either by AI or natural service for 100+ days. And every heifer was DNA tested for defects, disease and pelvic scored.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I noticed there were 2 annual dispersal sales around here that they didn`t even have this year due to the low prices at last years sales. I believe they chose to consign some of their animals to other sales instead of hosting their own. There`s so much overhead to have the sale but as you said they only bring what someone will bid and sometimes on lesser quality animals it can be a loosing proposition with the added cost.

Breds here at just one of the regular sales are averaging less than $1000. Sold about 40 head, some with calves, and they didn't bring much, again prices averaged less than $1000 a pair. It has been rather dry here, although calling for some decent rain these next few days, but people are looking at the steer & heifer markets, and the forecasts of prices not getting any better and maybe dropping a bit, and they just aren't wanting to take any gambles. We are going to lose 2 places to sale of the properties, so aren't going to invest in any extras. I think we are in for a couple of barely break even years....

True Grit Farms":3ak4beib said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3ak4beib said:
True Grit Farms":3ak4beib said:
We broke even at best.

What went wrong?

Things sure have gone down since 2015, but.......
What were prices like back when ya'll had the bad drought a few years ago? 2012 maybe?

Bought a few exposed 3 to 5 year olds recently. Bottom was $680, top $770. These were selling for 2 grand just a while back.

Sold a few 6 month old heifers and got $710 for them. Feeling pretty good about that swap.

greybeard":1ql1udad said:
True Grit Farms":1ql1udad said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1ql1udad said:
What went wrong?

Things sure have gone down since 2015, but.......
What were prices like back when ya'll had the bad drought a few years ago? 2012 maybe?

I don't know Greybeard, I was selling everything at the sale barn till the bottom fell out in the fall of 2015.

Latest posts