Prices on Bottle calf Angus heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Iowa-angus

Reaction score
I am in 4H and I had a plan about what do with the money I get from selling my market beef. I was going to get a bottle calf heifer and show it as breeding stock. Then when it got its calf I would show them as cow/calf pair. I would like to know the prices on bottle calf angus heifers. I would also like to know if it is posible to get a bottle calf bull. Then I could have it to show as breeding stock to. Anyone know? :help:

You don't want to show any bottle calf as breeding stock their quality just won't be as good. We do have a specific bottle/bucket calf class at our fair and you can bring back the steers the next year and show them in the 2nd year bucket calf class. If your county has that, I'd try for that.
As for prices, I don't know what they are running now, cheap I'm sure. I'd be careful buying a heifer, especially in the salebarn, as it could be a freemartin.

NOTE: I see your are 10 years old. It's good to have a plan and good luck with whatever you do. Bottle calves are nice for 1st year kids.

as said you have a great plan.but i wouldnt get an angus bottle calf with plans on showing it.because the qualty wont be so good.i want to commend you starting off young with a plan.but heres what id do.id try to get 2 nice healthy bottle heifers.an raise them for 6 months.then sale them.an buy you a good reg angus show heifer.save your money an work hard to buy a good show calf.

Don't let them discourage you about showing a bottle calf. Some bottle type calves can grow up just fine. The pic below is of a heifer that was orphaned at 1 month and ran with the other cows for another month stealing milk. We bought her then and started her on grain. I don't think she grew up too bad.

Scan1.JPG

yeah, she looks good!!! I COULD get a show heifer with the money I guess. OR I could get a young bull. Both would work with me.

The new plan:
Last year I showed a steer and a heifer in the Bucket/Bottle division at my county fair. I will show my steer as a market steer and I will show my heifer as breeding stock. When I take some pics I will post them of her.

Thanks for the update. It is always nice when a few ideas and some advice comes together as a plan :cboy:

oh, and I forgot to mention I will show her as a cow/calf pair at the fair after that.

Latest posts