Prices of feeder calves by color

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Table 6. The Average Selling Price for Feeder Cattle Based on Calf Color

Average Selling Price (Value/cwt.)

Deviation From Overall Calf Color Average (Value/cwt.)
yellow $96.47 $2.78
yellow-white face $95.65 $1.96
black-white face $95.02 $1.54
white $94.93 $1.24
black $94.29 $0.60
red $92.74 -$0.95
gray $91.85 -$1.84
red-white face $91.81 -$1.88
gray-white face $91.73 -$1.96
spotted or striped $83.84 -$9.85

USDA research from 2003 on selling price of different colored calves. I found it surprising. Hope it's readable. Who would have thought yellow calves are the highest selling in the U.S. ?

I will always pay more for a good charolaisx steer than a good Limx steer after that its belgian blue, simmental then angus or hereford.
I only use colour as an indication of the sire breed.

That's interesting about the color differences. I never would have thought that yellow were tops. Around here, people seem to be afraid to have anything but black...

I do not think the posted price differences apply to my region. Here folks want black steers the most - - so I buy a lot of white or smoky gray bulls and do well with them. I also have bought some spotted shorthorn crosses and had a stiff discount when I sold...

HatCreekFan":24j75036 said:
That's interesting about the color differences. I never would have thought that yellow were tops. Around here, people seem to be afraid to have anything but black...

..and just think...nobody wants a fat yellow chicken..hmm! :lol:

1848":2apzb9oz said:
HatCreekFan":2apzb9oz said:

..and just think...nobody wants a fat yellow chicken..hmm! :lol:

and I buy colored chickens too!

Stocker Steve":3ckzx9vl said:
like my daddy said "once the meats on the platter the hide doesn't matter!"

Ain't that the truth! ;-)

charolais crosses have always done well here. see if you can find a current one though. and also i'd like the see the current breed rankings if anyone has one readily accessible.

Colour does not seem to matter here. As long as they are good solid coloured calves...Blacks,Reds, Charolais .They sell close to the same.

HatCreekFan":197x85f9 said:

Same thing here too.

Latest posts