Prices of cows.

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
Off the top of your head. Most you would pay for a commercial cow. I am not aksing on the "depends on the quality" just give a price. The reason I ask. I went to get a free meal at a cow calf clinic and there was an economist with the Extention service. He was going over trends in historic prices and stated it would be unprofitable for a cowman to spend more than 900 dollars. Alot of variables could change this but he stated just under general conditions.

Scotty":1w2lvq2r said:
Off the top of your head. Most you would pay for a commercial cow. I am not aksing on the "depends on the quality" just give a price. The reason I ask. I went to get a free meal at a cow calf clinic and there was an economist with the Extention service. He was going over trends in historic prices and stated it would be unprofitable for a cowman to spend more than 900 dollars. Alot of variables could change this but he stated just under general conditions.
id pay up to $1200 for comm cows.but thats just me.id like to know what calf prices he was basing his thoughts on.im of the thinking it take 3 calves to pay a cow off.

I wouldnt pay over 900 or so for a cow thats impregnated. Even at that, it takes 2 calves to pay for her.

How many calves to pay for her feed and care. How many to pay for the taxes on your land or lease.

Scotty":1hgxaq6o said:
How many calves to pay for her feed and care. How many to pay for the taxes on your land or lease.
takes 5 calves to pay the taxes on the land.

I think there are some people that start out and never think about things like rent, vet care and most important MOTHER NATURE.

Scotty":9pknzdei said:
I think there are some people that start out and never think about things like rent, vet care and most important MOTHER NATURE.
well there are expenses such as feed minerals diesel an repairs,an all those things have tobe paid.but bottomline is this people farm full an parttime because they love it.they arnt thinking of every little expense to raise cattle.the truth is if you took all the farm expenses from the farm youd never make a real profit from it.

1300 seems to be the market here. I wouldn't pay any over that unless I had a really nice plan on how to make money off them.

bigbull338":bdh8gp90 said:
Scotty":bdh8gp90 said:
well there are expenses such as feed minerals diesel an repairs,an all those things have tobe paid.but bottomline is this people farm full an parttime because they love it.they arnt thinking of every little expense to raise cattle.the truth is if you took all the farm expenses from the farm youd never make a real profit from it.

WHAT? I love to farm and raise cattle just as much as the next guy. But if I do not make a profit I will not be doing it for very long.

Its true... unless you can have a big herd, land that is paid for, the expenses will ALMOST always outweigh the profits. I do it because I love the ranch life, outdoors, and it being part of my heritage.

Limomike":gi3lqghk said:
Its true... unless you can have a big herd, land that is paid for, the expenses will ALMOST always outweigh the profits. I do it because I love the ranch life, outdoors, and it being part of my heritage.

Very true!

GMN

Limomike":21f9t663 said:
If expenses ALMOST always outweigh the profits how can a person continue to raise cattle. You say unless you can have a big herd, land that is paid for,. What would a person be doing, making up the losses in volume. Seems to me that would be a hard way to make a living, unless there is a dang good outside income. By making up the losses with volume, the more volume that a person has, the more outside income that he/she better have just to put food groceries on the table.

la4angus":1h24ibok said:
Limomike":1h24ibok said:
If expenses ALMOST always outweigh the profits how can a person continue to raise cattle. You say unless you can have a big herd, land that is paid for,. What would a person be doing, making up the losses in volume. Seems to me that would be a hard way to make a living, unless there is a dang good outside income. By making up the losses with volume, the more volume that a person has, the more outside income that he/she better have just to put food groceries on the table.

I think in times like now, expenses are outweighing the profits, especially in the dairy farming business, this past year has been brutal for me, low milk prices, the drought, low milk production, high fuel, there has been many a time I have thought about quitting, but then it would be get a job in town, latch key kids some of the time, I'm just not willing to do that, at least not right now. I think if you are in farming of any kind you have to realize that it isn't gonna make you wealthy, in the money material things in life. An outside income is a must these days, all there is to it, and the less debt you have the better. I do not believe you are going to be any better off with more animals, because the debt to feed and take care of them is going to be more too, but I do think owning at least your cattle is a must these days, to survive. As with any job you have to like what you do, if you don't its time to do something else.

GMN

Latest posts