Prices for Stockers

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
What price per lb. are the "Stockers" being paid at present? I'm sure it varies for climate, etc.

Just trying to get an overall average.
I'm sorry for not making myself clear. Try again............

How much are you paying a "Stocker/Grazer" per lb. for gain on your calves?

Or, How much per lb. are you being paid to graze calves for others?

Dave":3fei4rsh said:
The people I know that are custom grazing stockers are getting around 38 cents a pound for the rate of gain.

Dave

Thanks Dave. About what I figured.

Dave":3p128b4s said:
The people I know that are custom grazing stockers are getting around 38 cents a pound for the rate of gain.

Dave

So Dave who supplies the salt & mineral,antibiotics. The grazier or stocker owner?

Lastly whos responsible for death-loss.

frenchie":3i7vrko4 said:
Dave":3i7vrko4 said:

Dave

So Dave who supplies the salt & mineral,antibiotics. The grazier or stocker owner?

Lastly whos responsible for death-loss.

The way we did it was the landowner/grazer furnished everything. Optional hay, grain, everything.
Calves were vaccinated properly before delivery.
Accidental deaths came off the total weight at the end.
2% was the allowance for sickness deaths.
In other words:(If 1 calf out of 100 died from sickness he would be added back in the total weight at the average weight of all the calves at the end of contract) (If 3 calves died of sickness only two calves would be added back in)
No shrink from scales to pasture AND no shrink from pasture to scales at the end.

mike":1nzap8ig said:
In other words:(If 1 calf out of 100 died from sickness he would be added back in the total weight at the average weight of all the calves at the end of contract) (If 3 calves died of sickness only two calves would be added back in)
No shrink from scales to pasture AND no shrink from pasture to scales at the end.

So the grazier was only out the lbage of the dead calves?

That is the way I understand it to be run here. I have some friends who have done this but I haven't done it yet. But the 2% death loss, vaccinations, shrink, etc sound about like the numbers I have been told.
Dave

frenchie":rk02uu20 said:
mike":rk02uu20 said:

I'm sorry! I don't understand your question.

MikeC":1n3y1cu7 said:
frenchie":1n3y1cu7 said:
mike":1n3y1cu7 said:

Did the grazier have to pay the calf owner the value of the calf,after 2 % deathloss has been reached.

frenchie":tirghrs1 said:
MikeC":tirghrs1 said:
frenchie":tirghrs1 said:
mike":tirghrs1 said:

Did the grazier have to pay the calf owner the value of the calf,after 2 % deathloss has been reached.
No, he just got paid for total gain net poundage, after the 2% deathloss had been reached for sickness.

I am going to be paying .50 per head per day plus medicine , vaccine and mineral.
The guy claims 2 pounds of gain per day is a reasonable estimate for the gain.
If there is a animal death it is that owners loss.

Me and a couple of friends will have about 600 calves. We are hoping to make more money by saving on the stockyard comission and shrink. Hopefully get a premium price by selling large loads of calves of similar size. I have calves from 600 down to 350 pounds and intend on moving them in september.

denoginnizer":gjcyb312 said:
I am going to be paying .50 per head per day plus medicine , vaccine and mineral.

Me and a couple of friends will have about 600 calves. We are hoping to make more money by saving on the stockyard comission and shrink. Hopefully get a premium price by selling large loads of calves of similar size. I have calves from 600 down to 350 pounds and intend on moving them in september.

I wish you luck on your endeavor. Let's compare the two methods:
Your grazing deal:
2 lbs. per day X 90 days = 180 lbs. @ .50 per day =$90
Mine:
2 lbs. per day X 90 days = 180 lbs. @ .40 per lb. = $72

Although the $.50 per day you will be paying is very reasonable, there is no incentive for the grazer to add more gain. I hope you CAN get 2 lbs. per day off the 350 weight calves during summer.

Selling in larger groups is smart. It will be the way for smaller producers to compete with the big boys. Could you let me know the outcome on this? I am interested.
P.S. Are you implanting before delivery?

when yall get ready to sale those calves. why not sale them on sla . since your going to have such big lots of calves. that way you only stress them once . when they load an go to the buyer. scott

MikeC":71vpj4an said:
denoginnizer":71vpj4an said:

Your grazing deal:
Mine:

Although the $.50 per day you will be paying is very reasonable, there is no incentive for the grazer to add more gain. I hope you CAN get 2 lbs. per day off the 350 weight calves during summer.

Selling in larger groups is smart. It will be the way for smaller producers to compete with the big boys. Could you let me know the outcome on this? I am interested.
I have implanted once with syncovex(sp) C and will be implanting again upon delivery. The majority of mine will be around 600 pounds . Although i have a few small ones and a few big ones. I guess the only incentive this guy has is if he doesnt make me money I want bring my calves back to him.
I plan on posting my loss/ gain info . My biggest problem has been talking the other guys into leaving there calves with the guy more than 45 days. They have notes they need to pay and the bankerman is getting antsee. O yea , we also have to pay for extra feed. The worst case scenario I see is costing about 1.25 per day per head. If the calves gain 2 pounds per day and we get around 1.00 per pound I think I will be ok. The market could fall out and I guess we could lose some money but if it was a sure thing everybody would do it.

bigbull338":6coctcem said:
when yall get ready to sale those calves. why not sale them on sla . since your going to have such big lots of calves. that way you only stress them once . when they load an go to the buyer. scott

What is sla?

MikeC":1a1u7wnz said:
denoginnizer":1a1u7wnz said:

Your grazing deal:
Mine:

Sounds like the guy has protected himself very well, but has left denoginnizer to take all the hits if they go into drought or if something goes wrong.

Tell him that you will pay .50/lb. and explain the math. That way you don't carry all of the risk.

Latest posts