Prices are down...

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
I took in a little 370lb heifer to check the prices and I got $.72 for her :( But I did come home with a SS 6mt bred cow for $300. I could have bought a few more for the same money but figured I'd get skinned if I brought more home then I took there in the 1st place. Guess I'll wait till spring to haul the rest in.

time to carry the calves to the heavier weights.an then sale them.bred cows an pairs arnt that cheap round here.pairs are bringing $1000 to $1500 or more here.

That's crazy. I took a little 350# black heifer to the auction and got $116.50 for her. There were some good prices for both bulls, cows, and calves last week.
Wish I could have bought a couple of two year old hereford heifers that were open. They averaged 1120# and went for $.79 a pound.

Black cows were higher, the one I bought is a yellow/white face cow. I didn't see the pairs so can't comment on their prices. Anything that wasn't black seemed to go pretty cheap.

Sold a 500 lb baldie bull calf for $550, turned around bought a 1200 lb hereford cow due in Feb for $400, looks like a deal. But have to wait and see.

Talking to the crop adjuster today. She heard a local auction report. 525# steer calves, nice lot of 8 brought .50 cents. Only a couple of lots over a dollar. Asked about heifers and she did not say anything...just a look. A not happy look

Wow, I'm glad our prices aren't that low.

Sounds like you got a good deal on your hereford - hope she works out for you! There was a hereford go through for $200, 7 mts bred, I was real temped but she had cancer eye and you could see the plaque but not bloody yet but I figured she wouldn't make it to weaning her calf so I let her pass.

Carlos D.":9vyvb3lo said:
what were calves bringing in the u.s. 2 years ago ??
Been paying about $10 to $12 less then the same period in 2005. However cash corn was $1.55 during the same period in 2005. Today cash corn $3.56.

Our feeders went from $1.03-$.105, which is a little down, but still good for our area. This week we sold some 2nd calf bred back heifers and they were the top selling animals at $940 each, which I was very pleased with. However, we are going to push back calving dates for the next batch of 2nd calf heifers we sell because the guys that by them don't like them calving in January and February like we do. Oh and the 2nd calf heifers we sold weighed between 1100-1200 lbs.

600lb avg steers sold here friday for 1.03 to 1.12 depending on how long weaned and vaccinated or not.

Same size heifers were 12 to 15 cents lower. Not sure why the girls sold so cheap. I checked the other colo auctions and they were pretty close on price to the steers.

I've got three 500 - 600 wt. bull calves to haul.. I think I'll wait until the first week in December. Everyone here in central Texas is reporting prices down on feeder calves, but decent prices on bred cows and pairs. The prices seem to be down at registered sales also. Anyone else seeing this?

TheBullLady":1118coi2 said:
I've got three 500 - 600 wt. bull calves to haul.. I think I'll wait until the first week in December. Everyone here in central Texas is reporting prices down on feeder calves, but decent prices on bred cows and pairs. The prices seem to be down at registered sales also. Anyone else seeing this?

I have some ready to go also. I will wait until after the first of the year. I think that cow prices always have a tendency to go down in December. I think that it may be the holidays that cause this.