Price

Help Support CattleToday:

Every one has to adjust for their own operations. Nothing wrong with that IMO. It's not a one size fits all by any means. :tiphat:

The price of a new, good, portable squeeze chute baffles me.... $8K+. :shock: One was at the top of my wants list if the $2 prices would have hung in there 1 more year.

Yes they are pricey. Ours wasn't that much but was probably close to half that. We kept looking for a good used one but they are few and far between in this area.

Bub":1selo4bn said:
How do you know when to buy an sell an manage risk

I have sold a lot at a fixed price. I have sold individuals at the sale barn.

Generally I take a single load to the sale barn. I hate to put too many animals in any one sale. There are times I wish I had put more in the sale and other times I glad I didn't.

The easiest thing to control is the buying. If stock is too high, you come home with an empty trailer. All you have really spent is fuel. I've come home with an empty trailer several times and some of those times I needed animals.

Freezer beef is a good racket to get in. Find friends wanting to buy half a beef and split a steer between two of them. My problem is there is always an odd number. 13 or 15 people wanting half a steer.

backhoeboogie":2s9b80on said:
Bub":2s9b80on said:
How do you know when to buy an sell an manage risk

I have sold a lot at a fixed price. I have sold individuals at the sale barn.

Generally I take a single load to the sale barn. I hate to put too many animals in any one sale. There are times I wish I had put more in the sale and other times I glad I didn't.

The easiest thing to control is the buying. If stock is too high, you come home with an empty trailer. All you have really spent is fuel. I've come home with an empty trailer several times and some of those times I needed animals.

Freezer beef is a good racket to get in. Find friends wanting to buy half a beef and split a steer between two of them. My problem is there is always an odd number. 13 or 15 people wanting half a steer.

My problem is that we have no one local that slaughters cattle. And I should be able to slaughter my cows that I sold to you. But the government doesn't see it that way, if your happy and I'm happy that's all that should matter. Private treaty isn't private when the government dictates how something is done.

The following should be required reading for every person just getting interested in livestock:
THE RISK OF TRADING CATTLE CAN BE SUBSTANTIAL AND EACH INVESTOR AND/OR TRADER MUST CONSIDER WHETHER THIS IS A SUITABLE INVESTMENT. PAST PERFORMANCE IS NOT NECESSARILY INDICATIVE OF FUTURE RESULTS. PEOPLE CAN AND SOMETIMES DO LOSE MONEY ON CATTLE.

IT SHOULD NOT BE ASSUMED THAT THE METHODS, TECHNIQUES, OR INDICATORS PRESENTED REGARDING THESE PRODUCTS WILL BE PROFITABLE OR THAT THEY WILL NOT RESULT IN LOSSES. PAST RESULTS ARE NOT NECESSARILY INDICATIVE OF FUTURE RESULTS. EXAMPLES OF PRACTICES PRESENTED ARE FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. THESE POSTS ARE NOT SOLICITATIONS OF ANY RECOMMENDATIONS TO BUY OR SELL. THE AUTHORS AND THE PUBLISHER OF THESE POSTS, AND ALL AFFILIATES ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR TRADING RESULTS. THERE IS A HIGH DEGREE OF RISK IN RAISING AND TRADING LIVE CATTLE.

True Grit Farms":6sh000ef said:
My problem is that we have no one local that slaughters cattle. And I should be able to slaughter my cows that I sold to you. But the government doesn't see it that way, if your happy and I'm happy that's all that should matter. Private treaty isn't private when the government dictates how something is done.

There are people in our business, even in this forum, who are middle men. Selling around them is not popular. :cboy:

backhoeboogie":1kazi68f said:
True Grit Farms":1kazi68f said:

There are people in our business, even in this forum, who are middle men. Selling around them is not popular. :cboy:
As in bypassing the middle man?

RanchMan90":3o13j4vx said:
backhoeboogie":3o13j4vx said:
True Grit Farms":3o13j4vx said:

As in bypassing the middle man?

Yessir. When we sell freezer beef or half beeves to the public, we are cutting out the buyers, feedlots, grocers etc.

An old wise cattleman once told me you never really make money on your cattle till you sell your herd. Lot of truth in this. Now, I think, would be a good time to build a herd but it amazed me how many people came knocking when they heard I was selling down because cattle were so high and they were wanting to get in the game and make money.

The good thing with cattle is you can build a herd or wealth by foregoing income thru the retention of heifers and make a little while building but when things get good sell down and hope you are liquidating at or near the peak. The recent drop in cattle prices was more than expected because Obama promised us over a year ago he was going to open the flood gates to help reduce the price of beef.

Latest posts