Price per head

Help Support CattleToday:

tripil7z

Reaction score
What is a good price per head profit at weaning.I'm friends with a local dairyman and I raise Holstien bulls. Sometimes I get them crossed with beef if I'm lucky.I then feed them up on plenty of cracked corn ( he says whole corn is better ) and milk untill weaning.I have about 1 acre for them to graze so my head count is small,but I turn them once every 6 months.I then band them and sell them off as steers.I would love to hear from all different folks on this,those who have all purebreed herds Angus,Hereford,etc... and those who have beef x herds.After ALL expenses what would one typically make per head ? Keep in mind your feeding 2, the cow and the steer.Unless you sell the cow off to recoop some funds. So what is good,200,300,400,500 per head ? I know market,weather,loss,and other things come into play here I'm just looking for a general figure here.Thank you,Tripil7z

For a cow/calf operation, we generally figure all the expenses for the year & divide by the number of cows (fertilizer, feed, haying, fuel, repairs, vet, meds, etc). That gives us a cost per cow. Mine is usually around $475/hd/year. (purebred Simmental operation) The least price we sell is our steers at $1/lb. Age about 8 months old, weighing around 750#. So our "profit" on a steer will be around $275.
Steers are a "cash crop" for us, but our main income from the herd is selling breeding stock.

You're supposed to make a profit doing this :???: ???
Here in Ohio "We don't care about makin money we just love to raise cattle"!!! :cowboy: